Lathe dust hood mounting idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottydont

I have struggled with using a lathe hood to suck up some of the dust and chips while turning, not to mention CA fumes when finishing. I bought a clear plastic dust hood from Woodcraft but had not found a way to mount it to my Jet mini. I mounted mine to 2 - 3/4"x2"x12" oak strips and secure it to the lathe with rare earth magnets. Is nice that it can be positioned as close to the piece I am turning but can be moved or removed for other tasks. The rare earth magnets hold it very securely. Here is a quick graphic.

200412534927_Dust%20Hood%20Mount.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scottydont

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Now put a small fan behind and to one side of you, and blow the chips right in !!!

It is hooked to a 1200CFM Dust collector with a 4" hose. It doesn't get it all but it sure helps! It does help with the CA fumes though. I made the mistake ONCE of smelling a piece of paper towel to tell if it was friction polish or not, it wasn't it was CA and just about knocked me on my keester! My lungs sent a clear message that the don't like CA.

melogic

Nice idea Scott. I really like this.
Hey Lou, Is there a place for ideas like this to be kept? Kind of like the area for assemly instructions.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Scott...this would be a nice addition to our library. Would you care to give us just a little more detail and have it posted? If yes, email it to Jeff. Thanks

Scottydont

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Scott...this would be a nice addition to our library. Would you care to give us just a little more detail and have it posted? If yes, email it to Jeff. Thanks

I just wrote an article with pics and I will get it to Jeff.

Mike_O

I have the lathe hood from Rockler that has the visor on the front. I mounted it on a piece of steel tubing with an adjustable clamp so that I could move it up an down as needed. The bottom of the steel tube is in an umbrealla stand that used to hold an umbrella over the table on my deck. I can adjust it quite easily left, right, up or down, and I never deal with those CA fumes any more.

I attached a pic from the catalog so that you could see what this one looks like.

2004126223622_67899-md.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom