Lathe Dust Collection.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gragian

I'm pretty new to woodworking and turning and was wondering what a good "dust collection" system would be for the lathe I want to get. I've read that dust, if left unmanaged, can be hazardous to your health (perhaps even leading to respiratory ailments) and I want to get advice on a product (either bought or made) that would be good to make sure that any dust (especially airborn particles) is kept in check.

It'd be a mini lathe that I'd just be turning pens and (maybe) bowls on, and my "workshop" space is fairly small, perhaps 10' x 16' or so.

I've looked at products that simply filter the air, systems with hoods for the lathe, and even read about people who attach furnace filters to box fans.

As far as price goes, I'd like to get a quality solution for as cheaply as possible (who wouldn't, right?). I would like it If I could take care of things for $100 or less, if at all possible.

Given the work I want to do, on a mini lathe, in the space described, what would be your suggestion on a dust collection/management system that won't break the bank?

Thanks much for any information or advice.

Daniel

As brad points out there are a couple of ways to approach the problem. either remove the dust or never let the dust get to your lungs. the problem is the worst dust is the airborne stuff and it stays there for a while. unless you going to put on your mask before you go into the shop and not remove it again until you leave. you will still be exposed to the worst dust. Air filters are not that good of a choice for while in the shop solutions. the dust is already in the air for them to be able to filter it out. not exactly the situation you are looking for while working in the shop.
Box fan with filter and other type solutions leave a lot to be desired when it come to being able to actually filter out the very small particles. if your filter cannot capture the dust it actually makes the situation worse by simply keeping it well stirred up in the air.
My advice for low cost and effective is to put as much money as you possible can in to the largest air mover you can and then just vent it outside. then make a hood that is close enough to your work to capture at least the fine dust. and still use a mask while turning.

Top Bottom