lathe chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shappy

I am looking at lathe chucks for my Myford ML8 lathe. Narrowerd it down to Teknatool Nova G3, Super Nova 2, Vicmarc VM100 and the Grizzley Vicmarc knockoff. Nova G3 currently on sale at Woodcraft for $139. Seems tempting but have heard others raise concerns about Teknatool's quality since they started manufacturing in China. Same goes for Grizzley.
Anybody have any opinions/experience/recommendations they are willing to share?
Thanks.

Padre

I have an older Nova G3 and it's great. I used to own a Oneway Stronghold and a TeknaTool Super Nova 2 (pre-China.) Both of them were tanks, built to last and last. No experience with a Vicmarc but their reputation is as big as their price. :)

I would tend to stay away from the 'knock-offs." Grizzly, PSI, etc. make a good chuck, but not a great chuck. If you want one to last for a long time, I would go with the Oneway or the Vicmarc.

I have to add that if you are going to be doing just pens, then the lighter chucks will be fine. If you are going to be doing bowls, etc., then get the Oneway or Vicmarc.

Last edited:

JerrySambrook

Of the ones mentioned, the vicmark is the most expensive, BUT is also the smoothest, best working of them. Also, the accessories available are very great.
Still, though, surprised not to see the oneway talon on there, as it is a fairly close second.

Top Bottom