Lathe alignment question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Docholiday

I have 2 jet lathes. A 1236 and a 1014 mini. I would like to do Kitless pens and have been gathering some of the tools, but I don't think my lathes have tight enough tolerances at the moment. Both don't run true with a dial indicator on the barrel of a Beall collet chuck. I've also had problems with "out of round" even when turning between centers. Is there a way to align the headstock? Is it just off in relation to the bed or is the spindle warped? I've seen a double morse taper for aligning headstock/tailstock. Would this help? Should I ditch both and get a new lathe (possible lower end metal lathe)? Thanks for any and all help.

Darren.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

If you pull the collet chuck off, and put the indicator on the bore of the taper does it run true?

Next put a dead center in the head stock and put the indicator on the tip of the center, does it run true?

If either of these are no you have a problem with the spindle taper, and or bearing housing. if the answer is yes the collet chuck mating surfaces might be out. You can check it by taking the collet out and putting the indicator on the taper of the chuck and it should be no run out or almost no runout. if not, then your threaded part of the spindle is out.

Not sure if that can be shimed or not.

I would have to see it.

The Penguin

I have a 1236 and seemingly had the same problem.

remove the tailstock and clean all the junk out from under it real good with compressed air. clean and wax the ways

worked for me.

gimpy

I just had this issue with my 1242, I called the company and they told me to put centers in head & tail stock, and to level it you need to adjust the feet......this worked for me

Docholiday

Thanks for all the help. Both read off 1/1000 in the taper and at the tip of the dead center. I'll see if leveling them helps. Thanks again.

Top Bottom