Lathe Adjustment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lanejustin

I just got my Excelsior Mini Lathe set up and noticed a very small gap both left to right and up and down in the centers.

I have found with a little big of adjustment I can get it right for a bit, but does anyone know a way that I can adjust this so it is straight on every time?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

I read on here a while back about sanding the bottom of your tail stock. If your tailstock is low than the real PITA is sanding the bottom of your head stock.

Might be other ways, that's all I know.

HTH RNM

orbit308

Is it brand new? You might check the bolt/washer on the bottom of the tailstock, it might be bent or not riding right on the bed.

lanejustin

Redneckmedic. I read your reply in my email first, without the color purple. Was very confusing.

Orbit, it is indeed new. I did play around with the bolt and washer some, maybe I will just go look at that some more. It seems like every time i go to line it up again they are off just a little and I have to adjust a bit.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Take it back get a better one. You might be able to adjust the front to back by loosening the head stock and adjusting it slightly. That will not fix the up and down. If its low you may have to put shim stock under it and raise it up.

lanejustin

The problem is I got it last year and just now got a chance to set it up (my old apartment complex didn't want me using it there). Can't really return it. I think the biggest issue I have now after checking the bolt at the bottom is the left to right adjustment. I guess I'll just have to deal with that and check it every time.

Talk with the peaple you got it from. Explain you just got to try it. And why. If they don't help, try the manufacturer. They might suprise you. Many greatly value their reputation as well as their customer. They don't have to help after warrenty. But asking is free. Just think how you,and any one you brag on them to,will feel about them if they do. It is always good to give our suppliers an opportunity. Whether
they are one of our great IAP vendors or not. Wish you well. Have lots of fun in this addiction. "The" one I have found no harm in. Only good.

Lenny

Left to Right adjustment is achieved by loosening the four bolts that lock the headstock to the bed. There should be slight play in the holes allowing for a little adjustment side to side.

Hexhead

You say over time you check it, it's different, I'm wondering if you're taking the line center or dead center in and out. Maybe it's not running true in every time you put it in the center different position. Just a thought.

lanejustin

Not quite sure what you mean Hexhead. What I have been doing is testing to make sure they are lined up and then locking the tailstock. After that I have no problem. What it is doing is the Tailstock is moving left and right when it is not locked down.

Fibonacci

I had one of those as my first lathe. I opened mine immediately and had the same problem. I called Rockler about it and they sent me three tailstocks before giving up and sending me a new lathe.

At that point I gave up as the replacement had the same problem. Further investigation on my end determined that the tailstock was not cast properly so it had slop between the ways. I improved it somewhat by putting a shim on the bottom of the tailstock.

I still had a whole pile of problems until I started turning between centers. The amount of offset that I had turned out to be insignificant at that point. The mandrel never did work with that lathe.

I think it is a decent starter lathe for someone that is not sure if they want to get into turning, but they wear out quickly and are not very high quality.

--------------
Side note: If you did get it from Rockler (I believe it is their house brand), it comes with a 2 year warranty. When I called about some issues I was having with the spindle after 18 months, they were able to look up the purchase for me and give me my order number. Their tech support was VERY helpful.

lanejustin

My parents actually got it for me, so I'm not sure where they bought it. I was planning on turning between centers anyway, so that makes me feel a little better. I think I will give Rockler a call and see if they can do anything.

Lenny

1st ... before checking alignment make sure your morse tapers are clean!

It is not uncommon for a little side to side play in the tailstock when it is NOT locked down .... the question IS: when it IS locked down do the centers meet correctly? (be sure the tailstock is extended enough that the center is fully seated in the morse taper)
If it is in alignment in height but off side to side, then loosen the bolts on the headstock slightly and apply pressure to twist it in the correct direction while tightening the bolts back down.
If it is out of alignment in Height ... SELL IT! :frown:

lanejustin

1st ... before checking alignment make sure your morse tapers are clean!

It is not uncommon for a little side to side play in the tailstock when it is NOT locked down .... the question IS: when it IS locked down do the centers meet correctly? (be sure the tailstock is extended enough that the center is fully seated in the morse taper)
If it is in alignment in height but off side to side, then loosen the bolts on the headstock slightly and apply pressure to twist it in the correct direction while tightening the bolts back down.
If it is out of alignment in Height ... SELL IT! :frown:

The height is now correct, the issue I'm having is side to side. The tailstock can essentially lock in 2 places as there is some play in the tailstock. If I lock it after pulling the inside of the tailstock towards me then they meet up. If I lock it in the other position they do not meet up.

In other words, I think I have solved my problem.

Top Bottom