Lathe ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chrishicks82

I currently own a Shopsmith but I am trying to streamline my operation do you think this lathe will get the job done http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html and this drill press http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-drill-press-38119.html

My shopsmith works just fine but I don't like having to switch out everything between steps I would leave the bandsaw and disk sander set up on the shopsmith then use the lathe and drill press for the rest

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

Use the SS!

Switch to drilling on the lathe and keep the Shopsmith.
Alternately, use the horizontal boring function of the SS to cut down on the changeover.
The HF lathe and Drill press are sub-standard to the Shopsmith IMHO. Use the money you would spend on those and get good chucks and other tools.

Here is my sequence using the SS This will make sense to SS users, it may not make sense to standard lathe users, so take it as it comes. This is MY WAY of doing things, other people have their way of doing things, use what works best for you.

adjust speed to slow if you haven't already.
Mount either a scroll chuck or collett chuck to the arbor on the headstock. Use Scroll chuck for square blanks and collett chuck for round blanks. (I have PSI Barracuda 2 for scroll chuck and PSI collett chuck. Both use the 5/8 SS adapter from PSI)
Mount drill chuck in tail stock. Drill Blank by advancing quill slowly onto the drill bit.
Remove blank from chuck.
Swap chuck for sanding disc on headstock.
Glue tubes into blank.
Mount appropriate size rod/drill bit into drill chuck to hold tubed blank for squaring. Square the blank by just touching to the sanding disc. (I use cut off carriage bolts in different sizes for this. It also helps to adjust the eccentric off center towards you)
Switch drill chuck for live center or mandrel saver and check alignment with headstock/mandrel. (I have 2 eccentrics one has my live center, the other has my drill chuck mounted.)
if you are using a mandrel
Swap sanding disc for mandrel on headstock (I use the PSI shopsmith mandrel)
Mount blanks to mandrel turn and finish. (adjust speed as required
for efficient turning based on material and tools)
Remove blanks from mandrel
Remove mandrel from headstock
If you are turning between centers
Swap sanding disc for chuck with dead center.
mount blank between centers
Turn and finish
Remove blank
Remove chuck from headstock​
Remove eccentric from tailstock and mount custom turned hardwood block into tailstock where the eccentric goes. (I just turned this between centers and it works really well. I also use it for dis-assembly if needed.)
Use the quill as a pen press by placing the components to be pressed between the arbor and the and the hardwood block.
Done.

Again, this is how I do it. I don't have room in my garage for anymore large tools, and I wouldn't trade my SS for anything (I'm also the third generation user of this 1955 SS that was handed down form Pa-Pa to Dad to me.)

Alzey

Look through this forum and the Shop Jigs and Equipment. There have been numerous discussions on the HF lathe and many other vendors and models. Personally, I got the Delta 46-460 after reading many threads on this forum.

chrishicks82

I didn't plan on getting rid of the ss just setting up a pen only making section in my shop I love my ss all except the bandsaw it gives me a lot of problems I think the upper wheel assembly is bent

dgerwin11

I have that same drill press. I do not recommend for pen work. As a matter of fact, I find it unusable for drilling blanks. It only has a 2" quill travel which means you have to flip the blank and drill from the other end to complete the job. It is a decent DP for what it is, but not suited for pens.

chrishicks82

I have that same drill press. I do not recommend for pen work. As a matter of fact, I find it unusable for drilling blanks. It only has a 2" quill travel which means you have to flip the blank and drill from the other end to complete the job. It is a decent DP for what it is, but not suited for pens.
Thank you didn't think of that

bradbn4

Speaking from experience - it's easy to swap configurations between the band saw and the drill press mode.

Depends on the size you are looking for in a lathe - you can go bigger or smaller.

Looks like you are going small for the other lathe - I think the HF are a bit on the too low end quality for you to enjoy. Maybe budget 500 for a good large mini - or mid size lathe. If I was looking small - I would consider something like NOVA 46000 Comet II Midi Lathe . You might find a nice Rikon / delta that would also fit the bill.

TonyBal

I just purchased the same drill press the other day & discovered this after I had put it together. It is in the back of my truck for a return. As far as the lathe is concerned, I have heard some positive feed back on other forums about the HF lathes. I would try it & see if you like it. You can always return it. If you are mainly turning pens on it & it spins with no wobble, you should be good to go. Especially with the price!!! Good luck & let us know how it works out if you get that lathe. :biggrin:

seamus7227

that lathe from harbor freight was my first lathe and i loved it! It is perfect for making "between centers" or "between bushing" pens! I found mine at a Pawn shop that was brand new for $80 and made my first 200-300 pens on it, to include rifle shell pens! Now I have a Jet 1220VS and love it.

chrishicks82

I might get the lathe I can just switch between the drillpress and bandsaw on the shopsmith with little adjustments to be made

soligen

I started with a shop smith, so I know where you are at.

What I did was buy a good mini lathe - the Delta. I now drill blanks on the lathe and the shop smith is set up most of the time as a band saw, and I change to drill press for non-blank drilling. The change between band saw and drill press is pretty fast and easy.

What you will REALLY like is that the mini lathe is SOOOOOO much quieter than the SS. If your shop is in the basement, your family will thank you.

If you really want 2 new tools, I would say the SS drill press is pretty darn good. Any bargian priced tool will not compare. Since you think your band saw had a non-repairable issue, I would say buy a stand alone band saw before a new drill press.

I find the SS band saw to be pretty good - but I have the older version with the cast iron table (I have cool blocks too). I dont know about newer version.

chrishicks82

The part to fix the bandsaw on my ss is $80 I am going to get it fixed someday. I can use it for a short amount of time and the blade pops off

bradbn4

The part to fix the band saw on my ss is $80 I am going to get it fixed someday. I can use it for a short amount of time and the blade pops off

If the wheels wobble when you grip them and tug then the bearings in the wheel might be shot. If it is an old band saw the bearings are replaceable. If it is "new" you might be stuck buying a new wheel. I know folks on the Shopsmith forums might be able to help you with isolating the problem with the bandsaw.

To help cut wood blanks I have started using a power miter saw. With a small jig I can safely cut down to size wood blanks faster than using the bandsaw. Too bad this setup will not work with plastic blanks, the blade I am using is way to aggressive.

ghostrider

I was using the very same HF lathe until recently.

I upgraded to the 10"x18" lathe that they sell.

The variable speed of the smaller lathe is nice, but it doesn't have as much power as the 10"x18". You must be gentle with the variable speed dial, because they can go bad if your not. I had to take back two of them before I decided to upgrade. Other than that, I liked the small one. It didn't take much space, and turned true. Just a little under powered. It also comes with two different tool rests (wish the bigger one did that), which is nice for turning shorter items (like single barrels).

I bought mine, and with the Inside Track Club, it was just $80, plus whatever I paid for the two year service plan.

It's a nice little lathe, and it goes for more under other brand names (looks a lot like the one CAUSA sells for $200). Someone on these boards even modded it with a home made hand wheel for the headstock. I do miss the variable speed of the smaller lathe, but like the power of the bigger one. My only regret is that I miss the VS.

I'm also pretty sure that they use to have a bed extension for it, don't see it now. Grizzly may even still sell one, although I can't say if it will fit.

Mr Vic

Love my Shopsmith but got tired of bending over with my ear next to the headstock to turn pens...Loud and hard on the back. Went with a Jet 1014VS and drill on the lathe.
My SS band saw kept spitting of the blades. Switched out the glue on rubber tires with the poly bands they offer and haven't had a problem since..

Top Bottom