which lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AnachitlPut

i have recently lost "my" lathe wich i had form a friend who recently took it back. now i am woundering which mini lathe should i get out of the jeta and the delta. the other lathe was a rikon i don't want to go back to one of those. i have heared that the delta was way better than the jeta and was woundering what yall thoughts were.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warthog

I kind of like the looks of the Turncrafter Commander. It has a full one horsepower motor...variable speed with readout. That's the one I am buying. And a sight less than the Delta.

Padre

I kind of like the looks of the Turncrafter Commander. It has a full one horsepower motor...variable speed with readout. That's the one I am buying. And a sight less than the Delta.
I have the Delta 46-460 and love it. It's a great machine. I also have the Rikon variable speed, and the Delta is much better.

I have used Jet midi's, and I think the Delta is nicer. My opinion.

Rick_G

A lot like the delta, but the one I have I consider to be a lemon. To much side pay between the tailstock and the bed. It was my first lathe and I didn't realize it shouldn't be like that until to late.

AnachitlPut

how much is it? and i don't think i can get it at my local woodcraft.

Alzey

+1 on the 46-460. I love the variable speed and the ability to run from 450 rpm to 4000 rpm. You still have move a belt but that take about 10 secs. And if you ever decide you want to turn longer items, you can add up to 2 bed extenders.

studioso

the delta 46-460 can be found for 599$. that is the most you should pay: right now in fact delta has a 50$ rebate, here, but be aware that most of the prices you will find online already include the rebate.

you can buy it with free shipping on amazon, although delivery times are between 1 to 3 months.

Alzey

the delta 46-460 can be found for 599$. that is the most you should pay: right now in fact delta has a 50$ rebate, here, but be aware that most of the prices you will find online already include the rebate.

you can buy it with free shipping on amazon, although delivery times are between 1 to 3 months.

I ordered mine from amazon and got in a week.

ditto

Ditto on the turncrafter commander. I have had one for just over one year and have NOT had any problems with it. Its small enough that you can take it with you if you need to craft your produces at a show.

jbswearingen

Have you considered buying an older, used lathe from CL? Are you limited to ONLY a mini lathe? Do you have the room for a full-sized lathe?

Jim Burr

Banned
I would not trade my Jet 1014vs for anything!!! Turned a few pens on a delta and was a bit disappointed. I moved up to Jet 1642evs and still use my little dude every week. It is a tank:biggrin:

widows son

From my wood turning club in Austin, at this price you could afford to drive to Austin and pick it up.

For health reasons I can no longer turn. I would like to sell my remaining lathe, a JET Model JML1014. This lathe is in excellent condition, but has not been used for the last few years. I am asking $225 for it. Contact me at dnbwhite39@att.net or by cell (512) 350 8168. Thanks
Doug White

qalien

+1 for the Turncrafter Commander. My old lathe gave out two months ago and I bought the 12" VS Commander and I am extremely pleased with it. If you don't do larger bowls or anything needing the 12" capacity, you can go with the 10" for $90 less and if you don't need a variable speed lathe, you can save about $170.

Justturnin

I would watch you local Craigslist for used lathes if money is an issue. I picked up my lathe for $80. It is old and ugly but it works. The main thing I can recommend is do not get a Tube Lathe like the old Craftman or Rigid.

Top Bottom