Which lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

almer

Which lathe is better jet 1014vs or general 25-100 maxi lathe?There is a difference in price,jet $314.00 US general $300.00 Canadian,thats the best i can find.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Floyd ... google "jet 1014vs reviews" or "general 25-100 maxi lathe review". You may find just the information you're looking for. Also, don't forget to check amazon tools from time to time. I got my Delta 46-715 for $345 on a two day Amazon deal.

aksarben

You are comparing a variable speed lathe with a none VS lathe. I would take the VS any day over a comparable none VS lathe.

I have not turned on a 25-100 but I just bought the General 25-200, which is VS. It is a solid well built machine with extras that the Jet does not have but it costs $530 US.

Scott

jaywood1207

Floyd. I just picked up a 25-200 this week and also looked at the 25-100 when shopping. What I found out about the 100 is that it is basically the chosen lathe around my area (London area) by many turning groups as well as schools. Part of the reason is because in the opinion of those I talked to the Delta isn't as solid and the Jet wasn't available without crossing the border. I'd save your money and go with the General. Doesn't have variable speed like the Jet you mention but changing belts isn't a huge deal.

bradbn4

Why not just blow the budget and get a big old powermatic lathe? I think Amazon has them on sale for 2,6xx + free shipping? But that is the small one that Powermatic makes.

Just a thought et 708359 JWL-1642EVS 16-Inch Swing 42-Inch between Centers 1-1/2 Horsepower Electronic Variable Speed Woodworking Lathe, 115-Volt 1 - for something a bit smaller.

The free shipping from Amazon can disappear in a flash.

bradbn4

almer

Originally posted by jaywood1207
<br />Where are you at Floyd? The Lee Valley in London uses the 25-100.
Im in Calgary,my brother in law works at house of tools,said they have them for $299.OO LESS HIS DISCOUNT,HES GOING TO SEE AVAILABILITY.i HAVE A BIG LATHE,A CUE LATHE,2 MACHINEST LATHES,FIGURE I NEED A SMALL ONE FOR SON AND GRANDSON ALSO.

almer

Originally posted by jaywood1207
<br />Floyd. I just picked up a 25-200 this week and also looked at the 25-100 when shopping. What I found out about the 100 is that it is basically the chosen lathe around my area (London area) by many turning groups as well as schools. Part of the reason is because in the opinion of those I talked to the Delta isn't as solid and the Jet wasn't available without crossing the border. I'd save your money and go with the General. Doesn't have variable speed like the Jet you mention but changing belts isn't a huge deal.
I bought the general 100,everything is straight and tight,runs real quiet,it had been at the tool show,got a even better deal,will use more on weekend.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by melogic
Chuckie,
That looks exactly like my Craftsman lathe, except for color. I wonder if they are made by the same company? It was priced at $599.00

I have read on other forums that Palmgren makes the Chaftsman lathe and the two lathes are exactly the same.

Chuckie

rtgleck

Hey Almer, try the Canadian Woodworker up there. They had that 26-200 mini lathe on sale just after christmas for like 599 or so. Pretty good deal on it.

almer

Originally posted by rtgleck
<br />Hey Almer, try the Canadian Woodworker up there. They had that 26-200 mini lathe on sale just after christmas for like 599 or so. Pretty good deal on it.
Black forest and house of tools here both had them for $629,maybe less through brother in law

Grizzlyss

Hi There,
I have the same General 25-100 Lathe myself. I really like the lathe, has lots of power and is very quiet as well. I replaced the live center with a 60 degree one as the included center is 30 degrees. The only problem I ever had was at the begining, as the head stock and tail stock didn't line up perfectly, was off by about 1 mm. I called the company, and they said try lossing the bolts on the head stock so you can line it up, and they were surpised that it wasn't, and that there was no damage to the box either. I loosed the bolts and the headstock was machined with such close tolerences that it would not move at all. Well I removed the headstock and carefully and slowly filed the appropriate sides, checking every few strokes to make sure I don't over do it, and voila, a perfectly aligned lathe. The regional general manager called me a couple of days later about this and offered to either replace or come up and fix it himself. I told him what I did, and he said that is exactly what to do. He also gave me his phone number and told me to call him if I ever have any questions or problems. I found out that most of the schools around here use them because of there durability, and Lee Valley Tools uses them for all there classes teaching turning of various projects to customers. So they should be good.
Sheldon.

Originally posted by almer
<br />Which lathe is better jet 1014vs or general 25-100 maxi lathe?There is a difference in price,jet $314.00 US general $300.00 Canadian,thats the best i can find.
<b></b>Where are you finding the JET mini VS for only $314.00 ? Thanks.

00lightning

Chuck Key, you're right, Palmgren does make the lathe for Sears. I just ordered the Palmgren from Amazon and expect it to be delivered Monday. I figured for the money spent it is a very good value. It can do 15" inboard and 20" outboard with a mechanical variable speed control. The price was almost what I paid for my Delta Midi plus all the chucks fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom