Lath Alignment Query

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

danf

Hi All

I have a Vicmarc VL175SH and have noticed that if I put the tailstock up to the head that the live end is about 2mm lower than the head. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but when I turn a pen I have to push the mandrel down a little to line up. Is this going to cause a problem when turning small items? I have noticed that some of my turned pens are not even on the tube and am wondering if this drop is the cause.

Thanks DanF

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

If you picture your pen mill orienting the ends of the tubes at a 90* angle you will realize that your mandrelis either going "down or uphill"
Thats why you have to"manhandle your mandrel"

woodspinner

As the problem is a low tailstock and Vic if does not have a quick fix, you can buy brass shim stock and put it under the tail stock. Get an exact measure if you can or take the lathe to a machinest and have him check it for you.
It is a big problem so handle it now and your turning will be better and you will produce a better quality product.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

danf

Thanks for your comments, below is a response I made on another forum (local) and It explains that I have contacted Vicmarc and their respose..For those ouside OZ the vicmarc factory is about 5000klms from where I live..

As this lathe is only two weeks old I don't think that wear is a consideration unless of course there was a manufacturing defect. I have spoken to "Vic" at Vicmarc about this problem and he is being most accomodating and leads me to state that their after sales service is nothing short of unbelievable. I hope I am not betraying a confidence by making this public but I think it deserves some recognition.

Vic has asked me to keep using the lathe until he comes to Perth in December when he will personally inspect the lathe at my residence (to damn heavy to cart around) and he will replace the lathe complete if it is found to be out of alignment.... like I said ...unbelievable... now I know why I bought Australian made..

Dan

I have a similar problem with a Delta Midi lathe that I recently bought. I contacted Delta technical dept. explained that looking horizontally the two centers line up. Looking straight down they don't. I found that I could put an .011" shim between the boss on the bottom of the tailstock and the slot in the ways that it fits into. They answered back today. The answer is at home and I am at work so this is out of my brain and that is always dangerous.

I was told to pull the tail stock over to one side or the other every time I go to lock it down. That way it will be against the same side of the ways ever time. If then the two centers don't line up, loosen the bolt or bolts holding the headstock down and shift the headstock so that they do. Tighten up the headstock hold down and from then on always pull the tailstock over to the same side of the ways when I lock it down. Interesting.

danf

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Be sure to let us know if Vic follows through on this. Not many companies in the U.S. that would provide that kind of support!

An update..
Spoke to Vicmarc today after finding out that it is the Tailstock that is low after testing on another VL175. They advise that as all Lathes are custom built and each component is numbered I can't just put another tailstock on my lathe. A replacement lathe is being built for me right now and will be delivered in a couple of weeks..They have told the retailer this as well as me so it must be true...
I still think this is great service and will advise when new lathe arrives.

Dan

danf

Hi All

Just advising that Vicmarc has come through and I picked up my new VL175 lathe yesterday. Replacement was supplied by retailer and Vicmarc will replace his stock. It's like chalk and cheese the new one is spot on in every respect..Great after sales service from manufacturer down the chain to retailer

DanF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom