Laser the pen, Capt. Kirk!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sberger

I am fairly new to this, only a couple of months. Love pen turning and making things. Have made about 100 pens and lots of other turning stuff. Also a laser person and I have now dialed my laser in to put names on the blanks. I did a show this weekend for four hours and sold about 4 pens at $20 each, without offering any laser engraving. Next show will be offering laser engraving and will have some samples to show. My question is, does anyone have any experience in offering engraved pens? How much more mark-up? I have been lasering after turning and then finishing, which seems to work best. They are really neat! No, the laser machine can not be mobile to do this on site. Too heavy. Will have to take orders and mail to customer. Point me to the instructions on posting a pic and I will try. Not that great with pics and posting.

You guys and gals on this forum are the best. Love reading it everyday. Much better than CNN. Thanks to all.

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I KNOW this is strictly a matter of opinion .. (and this is mine) but I have never
seen an engraved pen that looks better than the un-engraved pen.
I think it detracts from the beauty of the wood and makes it look cheap.

Then again, customers have varied tastes (some of them bad) Perhaps this is
why Barry Manilow is still selling albums?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Then again, customers have varied tastes (some of them bad) Perhaps this is
why Barry Manilow is still selling albums?

He still sells albums cos he has a new co-star:biggrin:
When were you gonna tell us????:eek::biggrin:

Steve, welcome to IAP. When you start a topic, use the little 'Paperclip' icon on the top row of the message box.( provided your pic is small enough and doesn't have weird symbols or spaces in the title) Pressing the icon will allow you to browse your computor and select a pic, or two, or three....

Attachments

• Charlieand Barry.jpg
    Charlieand Barry.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 105

bitshird

He still sells albums cos he has a new co-star:biggrin:
When were you gonna tell us????:eek::biggrin:

Steve, welcome to IAP. When you start a topic, use the little 'Paperclip' icon on the top row of the message box.( provided your pic is small enough and doesn't have weird symbols or spaces in the title) Pressing the icon will allow you to browse your computor and select a pic, or two, or three....

Skip don't be picking on Barely Manenough!!

lazer

Hi Steve, I sold add specialties for years, Most companies charge $20 or more setup charge, then a per-item cost. Some wave the setup fee on large orders.
I'm told that the cheapest lazer is about $10,000 You have to take that into concideration also.
One way to find out would be to talk to a competave house and see what they would charge you for small jobs.
A $20 pen could cost more to ingrave than the pen itself

DennisM

Hi Steve, I sold add specialties for years, Most companies charge $20 or more setup charge, then a per-item cost. Some wave the setup fee on large orders.
I'm told that the cheapest lazer is about $10,000 You have to take that into concideration also.
One way to find out would be to talk to a competave house and see what they would charge you for small jobs.
A $20 pen could cost more to ingrave than the pen itself

I think he was asking more along the lines of how well they sell and what a good mark up is, He already owns the laser, which i would guess he uses for other items as well, so the cost factor on the laser itself, it really not relavent, just the time.

Top Bottom