Laser Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nsfr1206

Hi all. I have my first pen from Constant glued up and was wondering what the recommended method of turning was. Supposed to sand smooth before turning. I turn alot of my pens with either a easy finisher or a spindle gouge. Will this work? Don't want to ruin a 24 dollar blank:rolleyes:. Can I just use that 80 grit gouge?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GColeman

I turned a couple recently with a woodchuck. The sanding is to knock any edges off the insert so they don't catch. A sharp gouge should be fine to start. You can also use the 80 grit but I went from woodchuck to 320.

corian king

Hello I use 60 grit sandpaper to sand them so as not to get any catches.Then I use the Rotondo.carbide tip tool. I have done about 8 of them with no problems.
Good luck!!!

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
+1 on the sanding until even then the woodchuck with the slightly rounded insert. I have turned many with no problems. Good luck.

I have had success (mostly) with my skew. Keep it sharp and take light cuts. I've also had students (8 year olds) make some, and they just used sandpaper on a block. Worked fine, but took longer. I was concerned with color transferring, but so far it hasn't been a problem. Make sure you've waiting long enough to ensure your glue is dry.

Mike

Top Bottom