Laser Kit Cruelty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

I put together four different laser kits today and I'm beginning to think that some of these might qualify for cruel and unusual punishment. I started with the guitar pen laser kit. As my 14yr old daughter would say, OMG!!!! What an absolutely wicked kit! The praying hands was simple enough. Then two other Christmas pens - a poinsettia one and another Christmas flower one. Someone must sitting back at night and laughing an evil laugh. (Yes you Ken!) : )

It's a good thing I really like hard puzzles. I did discover that it is essential to break the little pieces strategically to get them to fit. Horrible!

If any of them survive the turning phase - actually light sanding or just thick encasing coats of CA - I will post them later in the week.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

I have never tried any because of the costs. I might in the future if I win the lottery!:biggrin:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I just did one and when a friend saw it he ordered one too. The first was a gift the second was not. The fret board is a stressful little booger and then turning it is a little scarry but the end results is soooo cool.
WB

bitshird

I have made about 25 or so laser kits and sold all but two. One of the humming birds was snatched by SWMBO, and the other is my Knights Templar Statesman, Oh and I forgot I still have the first puzzle I put together, I usually get 70.00 to 90.00 on sierras and 100.00 to 135.00 on Jr Gents and Statesmen, The new Masonic pen is hot, I have orders for 3, still have to order them from Constant. I don't take any credit for making them other than putting them together and turning them, I tell them I know several men that are geniuses with a laser and they do these fantastic works.

MartinPens

I won a small box of these laser kits from the last birthday bash. I'm just now getting to them. The guitar kit I bought for a birthday present for my nephew in February - if it stays together to the end. I don't plan on putting a tool to any of them. I'm going to shave off some of the aluminum pieces on the guitar pen and then they all will get some sanding treatment - but no tools! They do tend to sell well.

TomW

Martin,

Try one of the million piece herringbone kits. It'll make you talk to yourself...

Tom

Grizz

Banned
Anyone try the sierra gear kit? I gave up and put it aside. After reading this post I'm thinking of giving it another go!

I did the gear kit. Well, attempted it. It did not fit well together, pieces that are not suppose to break, broke off. and trying to get them back in the same place was impossible. I tossed the kit.

Having said that, I've done quite a few others with no problems. I really like the kits (especially when they sell), but I personally just won't buy the gear kit again.

Danspen

I've done the bow fish on blackwood background and the masonic pen. The fish was pretty straight forward and simple but the "g" in the middle of the masonic pen was pretty difficult. I still have one more of the masonic pens to go. I still would do some more of the inlay kits though. I think the end results mae it worth wild.

bitshird

I've done the bow fish on blackwood background and the masonic pen. The fish was pretty straight forward and simple but the "g" in the middle of the masonic pen was pretty difficult. I still have one more of the masonic pens to go. I still would do some more of the inlay kits though. I think the end results mae it worth wild.

Dan, I agree about the G, I used a scalpel, not an exacto knife but a surgical scalpel and just scrapped the front of the G and it fit, but it is a bugger, but I love the kit, pretty special to me and a few of my friends.

butchf18a

My experience with laser kit pens is that they sell immediately. Even a basic sierra with inlay kit runs out of my hands for a minimum of $120.

Secrets, at least for me....
1. Follow the assembly instructions. Once put together a little thin CA holds it all together until the tube is glued in. I do all my tubes with 10-min epoxy. Then CA the entire blank.

2. I never use a tool. Even with carbide tools and fresh inserts I hesitate. This is more my fear of blowing one up than anything else, I'm sure many people have had success using sharp tools. However, I simply use sand paper. Start with 100 for roughing it down and then 120 and 150 to obtain near final dimensions.

3. Finish with normal finishing techniques. I'm a CA fan. I've done some with Hut Crystal Coat and had acceptable results.

Assemble and enjoy the look on peoples faces when you present them with their unique pen.

Additionally, I've found that many will ask what other patterns are available. I keep picture of all I've made handy to show people. You never know when you will meet that rich Texas oil guy in the airport and he wants a Texas state flag pen.

Rangertrek

I have done almost all of the laser kits over the past few years. Small learning curve on some of them. They sell well for me.
The only one I will NOT do again is the "gears" lit. It just would not fit and I ended up breaking several of the parts. Did get it together, looks good, and for sale. Still in stock.

John Pratt

My biggest seller of these are the Sheriff, Police, and Fire fighter kits. I keep a couple Police and Sheriff pens in the truck. I thought it would help me get out of a ticket if I got pulled over. I did get puled over not to long ago, the pen didn't get me out of a ticket, but the orders for police badge kits did more than pay for the ticket several times over.

I have done more than a few of these for different people. Constant and others have some great kits. What works for me is to insert the tube at the start (without gluing) and build around the tube then use the small rubber bands that come with some kits (or rubber bands for braces) for the pieces that want to fall out before I get it glued together. I then saturate the whole thing with thin CA to the point it is dripping off. It soaks through enough to also glue the tube in. I hit it with 150 grit on the lathe just to knock down any sharp edges/rubber bands and then use SHARP tools. I haven't had one blow out on the lathe yet. I have had a few instances where very small parts break or fly across the room and get lost. Dyed wood filler works pretty good in those cases.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Most laser kits I've done were fairly easy. HOWEVER, the guitar kit is evil! I did ONE! I decided to attempt other things that would be easier like flying to the moon without a rocket! It looks real cool when you get it done if you don't lose yours while you are doing it! :biggrin:

warthog

I just finished the one with the running horse on it and the one with horseshoes on it and one with a confederate flag. They turned out real nice. All three of then are Elegant sierra's.

MartinPens

I have found that some of these kits require strategically breaking the piece just to be able to get it in. Shaving things down with a surgical blade may be something I need to try.

If you think of filling the guitar hole with Elmer's Glue instead of Epoxy - don't do it! I should have just done thick CA, but didn't have any on hand. Impatience never works out in any aspect with these blanks. I filled the hole with African Blackwood dust after digging out the Elmer's Glue and ruining the sticker image. Oh well. I may get the person's initials engraved into that area to make up for the mistake - that's if the pen even makes it through the sanding process. Otherwise - it looks nice. Hope to post a pick at some point in the SOYP section.

Martin

jtrusselle

Made a rose and a couple eagles so far.. Assembly is a pain in the butt. A small rubber tipped clamp helps inserting puzzle parts as long as you don't apply too much pressure. Found that bench sanding one end to the right length before assembly helps so that the engraving is centered end to end with tube. Once dropped a piece on a messy woodshop floor and it took me and my son-in-law about an hour to find the damn leaf... Lesson learned to assemble on clean kitchen table.

76winger

I have found that some of these kits require strategically breaking the piece just to be able to get it in. Shaving things down with a surgical blade may be something I need to try.

If you think of filling the guitar hole with Elmer's Glue instead of Epoxy - don't do it! I should have just done thick CA, but didn't have any on hand. Impatience never works out in any aspect with these blanks. I filled the hole with African Blackwood dust after digging out the Elmer's Glue and ruining the sticker image. Oh well. I may get the person's initials engraved into that area to make up for the mistake - that's if the pen even makes it through the sanding process. Otherwise - it looks nice. Hope to post a pick at some point in the SOYP section.

Martin

After I learned the trick of dipping the parts in water for the stars & stripes kits, I've used that technique for all the laser kits that even hint of being tight fitting. It really helps during assembly, then I just let them dry overnight and then saturate with thin CA until solid the next day.

Haven't tried the guitar kit *YET* but I expect to use the same process because it's been working really well so far.

butchf18a

Made the acoustic guitar kit for my son. Turned out great. Followed the instructions, used the recommended materials.

Top Bottom