Laser Inlay for Knitting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W3DRM

I have turned several laser inlay kits being sold by Woodturningz. They have all come out beautiful. Now, I have had a request to turn a pen with a "knitting" or "sewing" theme.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything available that fits that description. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I have turned several laser inlay kits being sold by Woodturningz. They have all come out beautiful. Now, I have had a request to turn a pen with a "knitting" or "sewing" theme.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything available that fits that description. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Don; What if you took a blank, cut a narrow groove lenghwise halfway into it and glued in a contasting color wood. Now take your blank, and with a narrow blade saw, cut evenly spaced lines at right angles to the center insert. Fill with any colored wood. When you turn your blank it will look as if it were sewn together. Just a thought !! Second thought. Glue a piece of material to your blank after turning to size. lay a thicker black thread down the center for the seam, add stitches glued across it, than finish with enough coats of CA so you can't feel the threads, or maybe if you can feel the threads it will be more realistic. Third thought. Contact Jeff Powell. I'm sure he can come up with something !! Jim S

Kretzky

If you cast (or know anyone that does) how about some sewing needles (hand or machine), cotton bobbin labels, the paper sleeves (or parts of them) that are wrapped around embroidery 'silks', colored thread, a needle threader, pins etc glued to a tube & cast? A bit like the watch part pens but using sewing bits & pieces.
Hope that helps
David

Last edited:

W3DRM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! The patchwork inlay kit looks pretty nice but not really what I am looking for.

My customer wants something with bolts of yarn, knitting needles, etc. I've made contact with Ken at KallenshaanWoods and he has it on his list to do sometime in the future. He also has requests for a "quilting" theme inlay kit. I guess we'll just have to give him some time to work things out and see what magic creates this time.

corian king

I showed one on here that I made for my wife.I found a piece of fabric that had teddy bears on it and I used some of my wifes sewing needles and placed them on a tube.Then cast,turned and finished.My wife really loves the pen.

W3DRM

I showed one on here that I made for my wife.I found a piece of fabric that had teddy bears on it and I used some of my wifes sewing needles and placed them on a tube.Then cast,turned and finished.My wife really loves the pen.

Do you have a link to what you posted so I can see it? Tried to find it but gave up due to the many posts you've made.

Thanks

Top Bottom