Laser Etching

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Ok I'm re-phrasing this as laser etching instead of engraving. Any advice?

Engraving Advice, Please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be making 4 matching pens for a group of guys who all worked on a project together. I'm leaning toward the Triton kit, with matching segmented blanks. I've made a few Tritons and really like them. Just enough elegance, but not too much bling. However, I'd like to engrave these four…on the metal, not the wooden body. I was thinking about engraving on the clip. But the Triton kit has a shaped clip, not flat. I'm concerned that may present an engraving challenge.

I'd like to engrave the first name and the number (e.g. "1 of 4"). The longest name is 8 letters. If I don't have enough space, I may consider initials instead of the names.

My question is whether the Triton clip can be engraved dependably? If so, who could do it well? If not, is there a kit of similar style/quality that's better for engraving? Also, is there a better idea for engraving than the clip (e.g. cap or band)? I know I don't want to engrave the wooden body/cap, I want to engrave the metal. If I go w/ the Triton, it will be the Triton convertible, chrome with upgold accents.

Thanks for any suggestions.

jondavidj

You should look at the Desire or Eagle from Lazerlinez. The clip is better to be engraved on because it is flat and wide and the price is comparable to the kits you are looking for.

Crashmph

I have to agree with Jon on this one... If you want to etch on the pen, the Triton finish could "flake" off over time. The Stainless Steel Pens will not have this problem.

TimS124

Most of the laser engravers I know use CO2 lasers. Those can't engrave metal directly...that requires a fiber laser (different laser source that's less common and more expensive).

The CO2 laser users can use "Cermark" or a similar product which is essentially heat-set ceramic ink (I'm over-simplying but that's close enough for a pen forum I think).

If you're fine with black lettering/images, the Cermark and a CO2 laser should do the trick...if you want the actual metal etched away, look for somebody that has a fiber laser like these:

https://www.epiloglaser.com/products/fibermark-laser-series.htm (there are no doubt multiple brands...this is just the first example I knew I could quickly find).

Top Bottom