Laser engravng one of Ed's cat blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I had a few moments in the shop today and finished up a pen for my 18 year old niece who was in a very serious auto accident a few months back. I used one of Ed and Dawn's cat blanks and it came out beautiful. I'd like to have her initials engraved into the blank but I am a bit concerned that the heat from the laser could melt/damage the blank. Has anyone out there had one of these blanks laser engraved and if so, did you encounter any problems?

Thanks in advance for your input on this.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jim,

I don't THINK it will be a problem. But, I can't say I have ever had it done. I have had Ken Nelson do several alt ivory, beautifully. I think the makeup of the material is similar.

Maybe someone else HAS had cats engraved and will say so, here!!

Sylvanite

If you have an unused cat blank, and you'd like me to try a test engraving (on a section you'll turn off anyway), let me know. I expect it would work just fine - most plastics (PVC excepted) laser engrave very well.

Regards,
Eric

Jim Smith

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer my question. As Jeff said, what do you expect, this is IAP.

Thanks again and I'm sure that my niece will enjoy the pen even more with her initials engraved in it.

Jim Smith

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Did some shipping and thought about this answer.

You know, there really are a lot of great people here. Thank you all for your input. Makes my life so much easier, when I can answer questions, based on the info I get here and KNOW the answers are correct.

You guys really are GRRRRRRRRRRREEEAAATTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

miket812

I have made pendants out of just about everyone of the cats from Exotic Blanks and it lasers just fine even on the end grain so to speak.
Mike H.

Top Bottom