Laser Engraving? who?? and what??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I have a request for a pen that is laser engraved with the persons newly earned Militray rank and name.

The rank can be abbreviated(GY SGT), and in fact will surely need to be just to fit. The name is a 4 letter last name and that is all.

What wood would best be suited for the application? And what kit? I was thinking something like a Jr Gent maybe. I want it to be a keepsake that becomes a reminder of getting the rank.

Also, who would i contact to have it done? How does it work? I turn the blank and sand it then send it in?

Ohhh... I just thought, Maybe "U.S.M.C." on the lid, and the rest on the barrell? That would be slick! Maybe throw in some Marine Corps colors in the form of segments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

Ken Kallenshaan at Kallenshaanwoods.com would be an excellent choice for doing the engraving. For just 1 line of engraving, send the pen completely finished and assembled.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ken's last name is Nelson.

He is a good choice, there are several here that would do a good job. Ken CAN be pretty busy, doesn't hurt to ask.

OKLAHOMAN

Ken, has done all my special engraving, if pressed for time and only need name , I drop it off at my local trophy shop in the morning and pick up that afternoon, usually less than $10.

JimMc7

Another vote for Ken Nelson @ Kallenshaan Woods. Less than 1 week from the time I sent until I had it back in early October. I had both cap & pen barrel engraved and Ken asked that I send the turned/polished blanks only (not an assembled pen). I used alternate ivory from Ed & Dawn. I've seen others in alternate bone (some of Roy's) and that looks great, too.

Ken also sells nice maple pen boxes with inserts for some of the common capped pens (e.g., Jr Statesman II or JG-II). Get engraving on the box, too, for a nice touch.

Last edited:

Hogdriver

Ron,

Please note the use of upper and lower case letters in Tim's post on the abbreviations (GySgt). This is the Marine Corps we're talking about, so it's important to get that right.

Also note that each military service abbreviates some ranks differently. I would double check how the customer wants it, but I've only been out of the Corps for 3 years and doubt it's changed.

Hope this helps.

-HD

RAdams

Banned
That is correct. I checked with my brother in Okinawa. Thank you for telling me about the seperation, and caps. It is for someone special, so it has to be "High and Tight".

What kind of wood should i use? When you say Alt. Ivory and Alt. bone, what exactly is the Alt material?? Can PR blanks be lasered???

Thanks for all the help! I want to get this right.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Ron , I made some pens for some Marines , and had them engraved . I used Holly , and didn't have to fill the engraving . Take a look . If you want and need some blanks , I have some to send you . Just let me know .

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 147

JimMc7

<snip> When you say Alt. Ivory and Alt. bone, what exactly is the Alt material?? Can PR blanks be lasered???
<snip>

Never used the alt bone, but I think the alt ivory is a resin. Turns very easily (reminds me of alumilite) and I finish just like any other acrylic or polyresin (wet sand through 1200g and polish with Novus #2).

I have an extra alt ivory -- PM your address and I'll get it in the mail Monday if you want it. The alt ivory is a cream color with just a hint of graining. Other solid colors I could send are black acrylic acetate, snow white polyresin, holly or metallic silver resin. No immediate plans for any of these.

Here'e the alt ivory (from exoticblanks.com) that Ken did for me recently (engraving was also black-filled):

WPCap.jpg

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
I appreciate the offer but i have already got a blank on the way for this project. Thanks for the offer though! You guys are too nice!

RAdams

Banned
WOOT! To save time, i think i am going to try to get a local shop to do it. Next time, Hopefully i will be able to take advantage of the services of another member.

How does it work? You turn, sand, and finish the blank, then they laser it? do you have to put anything over the laser spots?

I think i have decided to go with the name and rank on the body of the pen, and the Famous "Semper Fi" on the lid.

Holly (sp) wood, on a rhodium Jr. Gent. I just can't decide if it should be rollerball, or fountain.

Paul in OKC

I use one of two local places here in OKC. I would not hesitate to send something to Ken either. I turn and finish the pen, then take to the engraver. If I am filling the engraving with something, it is done last.

Top Bottom