Laser Engraving a CA finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

Has anyone tried this? I am concerned that it will crack out and ruin the piece.

For that matter, does laser engraving blanks that have been turned pretty thin cause the blanks to crack? Or is the heat localized enough that it works okay?

Woodnwhimsies offers laser engraving of maple cigar pens, but the wood on a cigar pen is pretty thick.

If no one knows, I can give it a try, but I would rather not risk a fairly nice blank if it is well known that it won't work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I engrave them and it isn't a problem. But I suspect if the wood was
wet it might accelerate any cracking problem that you would have had
anyway.. (kingwood, ebony etc.)
Depending on the laser, the beam could be 0.002" to 0.005" so it is pretty
fine.

Sylvanite

A laser engraver will burn through a CA finish very cleanly. The heat energy is so focused that the finish and some of the wood vaporizes with very little effect on the surrounding material. A CA finish has the additional advantage that any smoke residue that settles back on the surface will wipe off easily.

When someone sends me a pen for engraving, I recommend that it be finished with CA.

Regards,
Eric

bensoelberg

Definitely put the finish on first, then have it laser engraved. I made the mistake of having a set engraved first and had a difficult time finishing them. I ended up having to remake 3 pens from scratch and it cost me an additional $20 plus time.

Top Bottom