Laser Engraving and Acrylics?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I have a customer who would like a pen made from an acrylic blank and would like it to be engraved. Is it possible to laser engrave anything other than wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Ah thank you Joe and Jon and Ed, I was hoping that was the answer. I looked on his website but I didn't see anything that said otherwise. I will tell the customer this weekend.

relyeace

You may have to color fill the engraving depending on the material used to produce the acrylic product. I know that Simlar 41 engraves clear and needs to be color filled to see the engraving.

Sylvanite

The common laser engravers work on most non-metallic materials, except pvc. Metals require either a much higher power (and different wavelength) laser, coatings, or special marking chemicals. PVC releases chlorine gas when lasered, which damages the optics.

Acrylics are among the more popular engraving materials and come out quite well. Cast acrylic engraves to a frosted white color. Extruded acrylic engraves clear.

Regards,
Eric

Rudy Vey

My laser engraver has done mostly wood, stabilized wood and also some acrylics done for me. And he also did laser engraving on some Titanium.
He has a standard laser engraver and the metal came out great.

grub32

Stan Cook

Stan Cook did several for me...They are very nice!! Colorfill was necessary. Stan is in WV...Not far from you and has a very fast return time.

Grub32

Top Bottom