Laser engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NotURMailman

I did a bit of research a while back into laser engravers. Seemed like the main problem with that unit was life of the laser tube and availability of replacements.

mwhatch

I wonder why shipping is $350.00 when it is supposedly shipped from US location. Sounds like their bateing with a low price, the gouging on shipping.

Fibonacci

If you look through my old posts, I have put up a lot of info on these cheaper laser systems.

I have one of the slightly larger versions of this one that I have been using for about 3 years now. There is a lot of discussion about there being issues with laser tube availability, but there are a number of sources both on and off ebay that always have them. CO2 laser tubes are basically a commodity item. They will degrade over time, but that is mostly from use.

The brief summary of my experience with both these and the professional ones is:

1. A professional laser (Universal, Epilog, etc) will give you better performance and a longer life. That said, you will pay 5x-10x the price for a comparable size/power system.

2. If you are not reasonably mechanically inclined, you should avoid the discount laser systems. They do require some tinkering, but it is a dirt simple machine. If you can do proper maintenance on your lathe, you are capable of tuning and using one of these lasers.

3. If you are not fairly computer saavy, not a good choice. The software that comes with the lasers will do all of the things the laser is capable of, but it does require some experimentation to figure out how it works. There are also some irregularities in the software. That said, it is consistent, just weird.

4. RF Cavities vs CO2 Tubes: The professional systems will have a cavity based system that should be expected to run for 10k+ hours before needing refilled. The CO2 tubes will have power drop off after about 1k. Tubes are reasonably cheap and dirt simple to replace. It will be a recurring cost though.

For me, the cheap system was worth it. I paid $3k for a 60W system with a 12x24 bed. The comparable epilog was $28k and the universal was $32k. I spent about a week of my spare time tinkering with it, getting it tuned up, and figuring out the oddities of the software.

I have been using it for almost 3 years now and the only failure I have had was a stuck switch on the cooling unit (there is a flow sensor that will not power the tube if the cooling pump is not on). I probably average about 3 hours a week on it and it works quite well. I can cut 3/8" ply in a single pass at high power and I can mark paper without cutting it at low power.

Fibonacci

I will add an extra post for emphasis:

You will have to tinker with a cheap laser. It will not be a system that you unbox and it just works right. It will function, but not nearly at the level that it could.

After you use it, you will have to continue tinkering with it. That said, I enjoy tinkering, so it works for me. I also buy Grizzly tools for the same reason.

The hardware that goes into these is actually of impressive quality for the price.

One last note: buy eye protection designed for that wavelength (10.6). It is difficult to create an eye hazard with these, but the most likely time to do so is during tuning when you have some of the safety features turned off. Much better safe than sorry.

keithbyrd

Thank you Jason.
I don't mind tinkering but I mind losing work! Does that mean you find it needs "tinkering" when you try to engrave and you ruined the piece or are there other indications?
I am really only looking to do some simple pen engraving - I know like most I will probably try to do more as I go down the road but my intent is to keep it simple!

Top Bottom