Laser Cut Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

I know that a lot of us have looked at those laser cut pen kits and then all of the pieces and asked ourselves how can someone with only two hands put one together.

I think that I have come up with a solution to the problem. I have purchased some 7/16" DELRIN rod from Grainger's and plan oh turning a short section of it to the dimension the drill bit that fits the blank.

In the case of the one that I purchased, that is 27/64". Since CA will not stick to the DELRIN, I will be able to place my insert into the blank and then glue all of the pieces in place. Then once I am done and everything has dried thoroughly, I can remove the insert and proceed to turn and finish the blank like any other wood blank.

I would like to hear what others think of this idea. All comments are welcome, even if just to tell me not waste my time.

RKB

Hmmm....CA kinda sorta sticks to my delrin finishing bushings, not alot but enough that it may be difficult to get the "rod" out of the blank, oh my that felt weird typing that. Hope it works, though.

Rod

its_virgil

You didn't mention whose laser inlay blanks you are purchasing. But, Ken Nelsen at www.kallanshaanwoods.com provides EXCELLENT, well thought out and tested instructions. I have made several of his inlay kits and his instructions have never failed me. Just saying. And why use a delrin insert...just put in the tube from the kit. Did I say Ken's instructions are excellent. Follow them if you use his inlay kits. I can't speak of the others out there.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom