Larger OD Center Bands for slimlines?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Does anyone know of a source of center bands with a larger OD for Slimline pens? I would really like to find different diameter OD Gold, Silver and Black CBs to use on slimlines.

I give away slimlines as gifts and have a good supply on hand. I am not fond of the "wasp waist" that conforms to the size of the standard CB. With larger OD gold, silver or black, it would greatly increase the design capacity without having to make it wasp waist.

I know that I can make my own out of wood and other material, but I would really like the gold, silver and black metal.

Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Make your own from contrasting wood, corian, plastic, picguard, or ...
or, eleminate the CB and just make the pen with a larger OD. I really like the faux euro made from a slimline. Take a look on Russ Fairfields site for instructions. http://www.woodturnerruss.com
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />Does anyone know of a source of center bands with a larger OD for Slimline pens? I would really like to find different diameter OD Gold, Silver and Black CBs to use on slimlines.

Fangar

I think he said that he didn't wan to make them...

For gold, purchase the Streamline kit. The kit is exactly the same, but has a larger diameter centerband. I am not sure if it comes in other platings though. Available at Arizona Silhouette.

Cheers,

Fangar

leehljp

Member Liaison
I figured I would have to make my own. I have a small Taig lathe with metal turning ability (in Japan and I am currently in the States). I remember a kit from Radio Shack or some place a long long time ago that allowed you to "plate your own"- silver or gold. I could turn some in brass and plate them if I could find a do-it-at-home Plating kit.

I have made a couple of slimlines with the tagua nuts and also black persimmon as center bands.

I am going to check into the Streamline kit and the comfort grip pens. But I like the idea of using the cheaper slimlines with the larger CBs for different sizes. If I buy the Streamline or comfort grips, they are at least <b>double</b> the price. These are pens that I give away, so the price of the comfort grip and streamline kits cannot be justified.

Again, what I am looking for or need is this: Gold or Silver plated CBs of larger than standard size for the cheaper slimline kits. These are my give aways.

Gerry, That might not be a bad idea, but I think they will be more than what I want to pay for them. I will give it a shot though.

KenV

If you turn metal rings on the Taig, you might also want to look at the powdered coatings even if you do home plating. The clear power coating will protect the very thin plating from wear. It will also allow some color choices including a gloss black for the center bands. (also have Taig)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by TomServo
<br />Consider asking berea how much the larger CB are seperately. If they're .25 each, why not just buy them seperately?

That is probably what I will do first. I think if the larger ones were offered, several people would order them. It would certainly give the cheaper slimlines more variety as to shapes, which should increase sales. I don't mind experimenting with a 7mm slimline, but just trying wierd experiments first on a more expensive pen is not something I like doing.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
It seems to me that Berea has already offered a SlimLine pen with a larger center-band. It is called the "Streamline", it sells for about $3.00, and it is available in several different gold platings and chrome. For that added cost, it has a better looking (my opinion) clip, and a cap finial that better accomodates the larger pen.

Don't be surprized if they won't let you upgrade a "SlimLine" for less money than the difference in the price of the two kits.

Another option is a "double bead" center-band that sells for about $1.00. It allows you to make a larger pen because it is just a bit larger, and it looks better than the typical flat band when it is smaller than the wood on either side of it.

And, don't forget the possibilities available with pick-guard and old credit cards.

wayneis

You can buy center bands from CSUSA that are meant for the Euro or the American and they can be adapted for a slimline, they have a couple different to choose from. The next place to look is Beartooth, I'm not sure of the size but Ernie just introduced some new center bands.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom