Large order and big problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all.
I have an order of 45 and maybe 50 pens for a local college.
Mi customer chose a Pignut hickory wood after seeing one pen I had made before.
So I ordered enough blanks of Pignut Hickory from Scott Butler. He sent me a completely different wood. In photo the one on the right is the wood he sent the first time and to the left the "new" Pignut Hickory. He said that its the same wood but cut from different parts of the tree. Ok. I am not knowledgeable enough to argue that. So I told my customer that the PH on the left is what I had available and he said no problem. Now my BIG problem is that about 30-40% of the blanks I have turned has exploded when I am near the end of turning. I am using a 3/4 gouge that I (think) keep sharp. What do you think my problem is? I have used several tools like that one that you change the inserts, the round type. (don't remember its name atm).
I'm desperate. Although I have plenty of time to finish the order, I am worried about this wood proble. Any help will be immensely appreciated.

Attachments

• pignut 003.JPG
    pignut 003.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 602
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TJECON

Hello all.
I have an order of 45 and maybe 50 pens for a local college.
Mi customer chose a Pignut hickory wood after seeing one pen I had made before.
So I ordered enough blanks of Pignut Hickory from Scott Butler. He sent me a completely different wood. In photo the one on the right is the wood he sent the first time and to the left the "new" Pignut Hickory. He said that its the same wood but cut from different parts of the tree. Ok. I am not knowledgeable enough to argue that. So I told my customer that the PH on the left is what I had available and he said no problem. Now my BIG problem is that about 30-40% of the blanks I have turned has exploded when I am near the end of turning. I am using a 3/4 gouge that I (think) keep sharp. What do you think my problem is? I have used several tools like that one that you change the inserts, the round type. (don't remember its name atm).
I'm desperate. Although I have plenty of time to finish the order, I am worried about this wood proble. Any help will be immensely appreciated.

Looks like you are cutting perpendicular to the end grain on the new stock???? Try using 240 grit sandpaper to complete the shape instead of a gouge

walshjp17

Have you thought of stabilizing the blanks? If you do not have the equipment to do it, others here do.

Also, is the wood dry enough to turn (approx. 10 - 12%)? Often wood we get from folks like Scott is still a bit on the green side and while turning a green bowl may not be a problem, turning a green pen may pose different issues.

jcm71

Make sure your tubes are completely covered with glue before you insert them in the blank. I use craft foam to do that with good results. How tight is the fit between your tubes and blanks? If there is a visible void between the blank and tube after you glue the blank in, you can tamp down some sawdust into the void and then secure it with thin CA. Irregardless of that seal the ends of your blank with thin CA before turning. On average, how thin have the blanks been when they exploded? Just starting out or close to the bushings? If close to the bushings try switching to a skew and/or as suggested earlier sand down to the bushing and/or seal the outside of the blank with thin CA. At what speed do you turn? Try getting it up to 3500 RPM or so if not already. Congrats on the order.

NittanyLion

It looks like your new blanks are cross cut. For these, if you are having trouble, they really should be stabilized. Try to find someone local who can do this for you, or soak them in CA. I do not like turning crosscut wood.....too many catches. The best way to turn these is a sharp skew. Good luck!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It looks like your new blanks are cross cut. For these, if you are having trouble, they really should be stabilized. Try to find someone local who can do this for you, or soak them in CA. I do not like turning crosscut wood.....too many catches. The best way to turn these is a sharp skew. Good luck!

Agree completely, and would add as you get to final shape, use 200ish grit sandpaper. Use thin CA OFTEN to keep the piece together. Yes, it would be better to stabilize, if you have the time. I would also use a skew rather than a carbide tool, if you are proficient with the skew (touches only one spot on the blank and attempts to cut, the square carbide is a scraper, that touches a quarter inch at a time---difficult on a cross-grain blank).

The wood looks like the first ones you did were cut with the grain, these are cross cut, so yes, they will look (and turn) very different (ly).

Ed

Thank you all for your answers. Actually I have been thinking about getting a stabilizing equipment. For now, I think I will do the sanding to size method, since most breaks happen when I'm getting close to the bushings. I started using the Easy Wood Tool, and my feeling is that this tool only worsens the problem. Anyway, since I am still at the beginning of making the order, I will try to convince my client to switch to a more noble wood such as bocote or zebrawood. I just turned a couple of Sedonas with these woods to show to my client and they turn much more faster and easy than the Pignut.
Thanks all for your time and input.

raar25

Why dont you return the wood and ask for a new batch that has grain which runs lengthwise. These will always be a problem. Not to mention any thermal variation in the pen after you make them may result in some cracking down the road.

Why dont you return the wood and ask for a new batch that has grain which runs lengthwise. These will always be a problem. Not to mention any thermal variation in the pen after you make them may result in some cracking down the road.

Thank you for your input.
I live in MĂ©xico, with a shipping address in Texas.
I doubt the supplier will accept paying for the shipping charges from here, and for me, it might be even more expensive to return the wood than what I paid for it.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Same wood or not - if the customer is expecting the one you showed them, the new one will be a surprise.

You may want to check and see if it's a good surprise before you turn 50 of them! :)
Of course I will check with him before doing anything different.

Mexico, eh? As an aside - do you know of any good Mexican internet sources for Ancho and Pasilla chile peppers? :) I want to make Mole rojo, and it's hard to find these peppers around here!

Ed McDonnell

Someday when you are not under time pressure you should try turning a crosscut piece of zebra wood. The chatoyance of crosscut zebrawood is spectacular (use some boiled linseed oil before applying your final finish to bring out the best look). You need to use a shearing cut, not scraping when cutting wood with the grain perpendicular to the axis of rotation. A shearing cut is best achieved with a skew or gouge.

Ed

SteveG

A potential problem with cross cut blanks is that the end grain is spread across the length of the pen. So if completely dried and stabilized, it is just that: Stable. If not fully dry or the pen is used where the ambient humidity is very low, you might get splits all along the length of the pen. Not a good result, particularly with a large order. I agree with raar25 and strongly suggest going back to get long grain blanks from your supplier. You do not want to wake up at night in a cold sweat, dreaming of RE-doing 45 pens!
Steve

mhbeauford

Looks like X-Cut, I dry to 7% or so and stabilize most all of my X-Cut blanks, they shatter very easily, and catch easily. Else while still pretty thick soak with thin CA, cut with a very sharp skew and soaking again occasionally as it gets thinner. Sand the last bit down to size. Hope this helps. X-Cuts can be beautiful with lots of chatoyance and pattern in them.

walshjp17

Chatoyance is a word from the French that means 'cat's eye'. If is an effect on materials (gems, wood) that gives the appearance of a cat's eye. The wood appears to have waves or ripples in it in certain light conditions but is as smooth as a baby's @$$.:wink:

kovalcik

Last edited:
Well the good news is that my customer saw a Padauk pen and he loved it. I just ordered 50 3/4x3/4x5 blanks from woodturningz at $.95 each. Best deal I could find. This will diminish my profit, but I will have 50 pens out there with my name on them. :)

plano_harry

I was pushing hard on a large order of slims and was cracking purpleheart way too frequently. I switched from CA to gorilla glue and the problem went away. CA was quicker, but I wasn't getting a good bond and the expansion of the gorilla glue filled all the gaps.

Harry

I use 5min epoxy. I just LOVE Gorilla glue, but I've found that sometimes it pushes my tubes out, so I need to somehow clamp the ends of the blanks to prevent this. Maybe you have some tips on this, Harry?

1080Wayne

Tubes push out when one end of the tube is filled with expanding glue - most likely the end pushed into the tube first . Remove the excess glue with a screwdriver or similar tool right after positioning the tube in the blank , and you shouldn`t have a problem .

plano_harry

Yes. Since I was doing a large order, I folded a sheet of wax paper like an L and placed the vertical part against the fence on my table saw, laid the glued blanks on the paper; when I had them all on, I folded the paper up (now a U) and placed the straight edge of a board against all the blanks and did a quick clamp on the whole batch. You have plenty of time to do 20-30 before they start to move.

In my little assembly line, I used the dental wax to plug the tubes, swabbed the hole with an oral swab from the drug store (cut down sponge on the end of a stick) dipped in water; rolled the tubes in the gorilla glue, popped them in the hole and laid it on my wax paper. For efficiency, I was wetting about 10, then gluing, then on to the next group of 10. All my blanks were numbered so I didn't have any problem with matchup.

I hope that helps. If you have a helper you could really do this process fast.

Harry

Rubber bands should work. There is not a lot of force, but the tube will often move if not restrained.

I use 5min epoxy. I just LOVE Gorilla glue, but I've found that sometimes it pushes my tubes out, so I need to somehow clamp the ends of the blanks to prevent this. Maybe you have some tips on this, Harry?

sailing_away

I converted over to using Sumo glue a few years ago. I have not had one blow apart since. Even when working with cross cut woods. Gorilla glue works just as well but foams a little more. Just make sure you lightly sand the tube and work the glue into both ends of the blank.

Top Bottom