Laquer Dipping For Pen Finish ? ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I have seen this topic come up within some other threads but rather than to confuse it with the real topic of the other ones, I have decided to start a separate one on just this topic without getting responses that suggest using another method of finishing because I know where to find a lot of information on those already.

With that said, I would like to hear about the method used for *dipping* the pieces in laquer. I am very familiar with spraying laquer so my main concerns here are about dipping and to know what is used to hang the pieces to dry after dipping and how they are fastened onto the pieces as well as concerns about it sheeting down and leaving hardened blobs of laquer on the bottom of the pieces and also about the problem of getting laquer inside the tubes when dipping which seems to me at this point like it would create an assembly problem.

W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

William,
What I have read in the past, but have not done myself. is to use pieces of wire to dip and also hange the barrels while they dry. the ends of the tubes are plugged in some manner. I think this is where I first saw plummers putty mentioned to plug the tubes. Although this is one of the details that is still a question in my mind. as for the blubs. the good old dabbing with a paper towel is all I recall about that. one or two well timed touches is all it seems it take. I've been milling over a revolving rack that would keep the blanks slowely turning while the laq dries but so far that is only an idea.
the yahoo grop used to have some detailed info on this. it may still be there in the FAQ

William Young

Thanks Daniel;
The suggestions you mention make a lot of sense and hopefully there will be some more forthcoming from others that have been there.. done that.

I still have over 1/2 gallon of very high quality high gloss laquer that I used to use in another life when I was building acoustic guitars and also doing extensive commissioned repairs and re-finishing of both electric and acoustic guitars. Which brings up a point. Has anyone here ever heard that there is a certain shelf life on NG laquer ? ? I haven't and I have used this same laquer fairly recently on some small items where I wanted an extremely high shine and it worked OK. I am talking about a product that is over 15 years old now and to open the gallon can and look in it is as clear as water to the bottom of the can except that it has it's natural light honey color.

I dont belong to any Yahoo pen making groups at all.(yet). I prefer forums with similar formats to this one and this one will be my site of choice for pen turning . I dont really have the time or patience to keep working around all the pop up banners and such in Yahoo sites but I do occasionally go into some Yahoo scrollsaw sites and a few other sites of interest.
Perhaps if you could supply links to Yahoo sites pertaining to turning pens and small items of interest on a mini lathe, I would check it out and possibly join mostly for when a topic of extreme interest comes up..
W.Y.

Daniel

William,
I got your e-mail adn replied to it. and now it makes since. Sorry this was one of those rare days that I had not been checking in here.
just in case here is the link to the Yahoo group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/
I think it is on the home page here to.
I've been at this to long, i assume everyone knows about the yahoo group[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom