Laminations in Stabilized blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spence

First time posting and of course I start off with a question. Can laminations like a celtic knot (Xcut?) be done in a stabilized blank. A customer wants one in a green box elder burl using a slim line kit. I usualy use 5 min epoxy for my laminations. Thanks in Advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

There won't be an issue with the stabilized wood. I prefer CA glue personally, but whatever works best for your level of patience and methods. Good luck,

Post up a photo when you get it done.

Fangar

Czarcastic

Being from the "flat" side of woodworking before I started turning, I have always done my laminations with good ol-fashioned wood glue (TB-II) and good clamping pressure. I've done several pen laminations with stabilized woods, including the Dyed-Stabilized box elder burl you mentioned, and have never had an issue using the Titebond.

cozee

Please forgive what could possibly be the obvious but I am new to woodworking in general. What are stabilized woods?

arjudy

Originally posted by cozee
<br />Please forgive what could possibly be the obvious but I am new to woodworking in genereal. What are stabilized woods?

Stabilizing is impregnating wood with any variety of plastic or polymeric materials in order to make a soft or punky wood like buckeye burl harder and easier to turn. Some stabilizing materials are acrylic, polyurethane and polycarbonate. Check out the following link.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Blanks.htm

Spence

Thanks Folks! Looks like it will work with the glues I have on hand. If it all works out should be an interesting pen. Hopefully the following picwill show the second pen I ever made. Welcome to the Maddness indeed! LOL

200510521353_DSCF0104.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom