Lamination or Segment?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

I have a question for everyone.
What would you consider a lamination and a segment when regards to making a pen?

Here are my thoughts.
I feel like a segment would be a piece of wood that goes all the way threw the blank.
A lamination would be a piece of wood that is only on the surface of the blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

Lamination: to make (as a windshield) by uniting superposed layers of one or more materials b : to unite (layers of material) by an adhesive or other means

Segment:a separate piece of something : BIT, FRAGMENT <chop the stalks into short segments> b : one of the constituent parts into which a body, entity, or quantity is divided or marked off by or as if by natural boundaries <all segments of the population agree>

Randy_

For me, implied in the definition, would be the idea that all of the glue lines are parallel, or nearly so, in laminated blanks; but not for segmented pens. Generally speaking, I think most folks look at laminates as having very thin layers. I don't see any reason why a blank made up of layers that are as thick as they are wide and long should not be called a laminate. [?]

And I think Lou has it right is saying it doesn't really make a whole bunch of difference.....call'em what you like!!

Randy_

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />.....A lamination would be a piece of wood that is only on the surface of the blank....

That could also be an inlay.

I don't think you would consider something like Dymondwood to be a segmented blank, would you??

Darley

<br />I have a question for everyone.
What would you consider a lamination and a segment when regards to making a pen?

Here are my thoughts.
I feel like a segment would be a piece of wood that goes all the way threw the blank.
A lamination would be a piece of wood that is only on the surface of the blank.

Ron for me lamination is pieces of wood glued together ' like plywood ', segment is as it's say, take a pie and cut in portion you will have segments ( you use angle ), in an other hand when you did your morning after you cut the segments ( in angle I think 11.5 degree ) then you glued them up to the tube and make your pen barrel, IMHO you laminate your pen . but like Lou say it's very arguable.

To put every one out off misery we should call this " LAMISEG " [:D][:p]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I agree with Randy.
When I make laminated blanks The strips are normally thcknessed to get a uniform appearance.The analogy to plywood is a very good one,it best describes how I view it.
ALso a laminated blank is "stronger" as opposed to a "Segment" where a "break" is more likely to oocur at the joint especiall if it is glued end grain to end grain.
A When I make a spiral segment it starts out as a laminted glue up and turns into a "Spiral segment"

redfishsc

With all this being said, I wonder how many angels will fit on the head of a pin?

BTW I consider this a laminated blank. Bloodwood, ash, maple, cherry, and sapele

laminated_cigar1a.JPG

laminated_cigar1b.JPG

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
<br />.....A lamination would be a piece of wood that is only on the surface of the blank....

That could also be an inlay.

I don't think you would consider something like Dymondwood to be a segmented blank, would you??
Nor would the top layer of Dyamond wood be an inlay

Jerryconn

My 2 cents worth; a laminate is two pieces glued long grain to long grain and a segment anything glued at some angle to the long grain.

Ron Mc

Thanks for all of the great answers! I believe that we are all in agreement that.....[:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom