Laminating - Metal Inserts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PrivatePens

I have seen a few folks use metal when they glue up various segmented pens. What are you all using? And - where do you get it. I had a thought that an aluminum washer might work - thinking aluminum would be soft enough to turn. However, the washers are much thicker than I want. Is there a source for something that works well? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocRon

How about aluminum flashing, sold in rolls at the home centers? Or aluminum pie pans, the disposable type on supermarket pies and sweet rolls? I haven't used any of these yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Sfolivier

Hobby shops also sells sheets of different thickness. I've seen them with brass, copper and aluminum. All should be turnable, albeit thicker than soda can metal.

wendell

I've used aluminum flashing and some thicker aluminum that I bought at Hobby Lobby. I also bought two thicknesses of brass and one thickness of copper sheet at Hobby Lobby but I haven't actually used them yet.

Wendell

constamj

I bought some 1/8th aluminum bar stock from Lowes. This matched my table saw blade. It turned pretty good but I had to sharpen a couple times. Once it was round it went much easier. I used Med CA to glue it up.

VisExp

I got tired of sanding the labels off the soda cans. On some of the pens I made if you held them a certain way you could see the red of the coke label.

Like Rick mentioned I got some aluminum and brass from The Whimsie Studio

http://www.whimsie.com/index.html

When you pay put a note in there asking them to combine shipping wherever possible to save on shipping costs. Because of the nature of the product they are shipping their shipping costs are priced pretty high on their website. However both times I've ordered from them they have combined shipping and have refunded me some money. I've been happy with their product and service.

Top Bottom