Laminating Information

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleabit

Hello all:

I am new to this hobby/profession and would like some pointers on laminating techiques.

Some of you have posted pictures of multiple layered barrels that come out in some sweet patterns. Would you please let me know how that is occomplished (ie. cut angles, glue ups etc.)?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

There are a lot of different glue/ups or laminations. Many are more simple than you would think, and some are so complex that I have yet to understand them, even after reading how they are done. For example:

http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/galindex.htm

Take a look at the Mark and Brian Gisi albums.

My advice; pick out something that you find interesting and ask about that specific pen.

Daniel

welcome leabit,
I have been doing a bunch of homework on laminations as that is where I want my penmaking to drift toward for now.
First there are many books available on segmented turning. these or toher info on that subject are very helpful for getting a grip on the directions for a specific design. many of the complicated looking designs are actually much easier then they look like they would be. it is a matter of gluing together one large piece then re cutting it and reorienting the pieces. this is how most herringbone and other designs are achieved. the other bid rip I have found is a 45 degree angle is not very flattering. stay either small or greater than that. follow the angles used in the designs you see and like and it will help norrow the choices for you. even a degree of angle can make a difference.
next is the knowledge of contrast, balance and complementary combinations of woods. a design that falls flat with two particular woods will pop alive with anouther selection. this is an art in itself and again best nailed down by looking at what you like and keeping your combinations at least close to that.
a last note, after all the slicing and glueing and reslicing etc. be prepaired to make an exact dead on and straight hole through that blank. you will also be trimming the blank for the barrel to a pretty exact location as well. it takes penturning into that realm of "Exactly what I intended to do" for me.
good luck

Fleabit

Well, I finally made a BASIC laminated pen. So far it is holding together [:D]. Next move is to try mulitple layers (basic style of course). Thanks everyone for inputs.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
In my opinion, the BEST guide to doing laminates was written by our very own YoYoSpin (Ed Davidson). It's for bottle stoppers, but is easily applied to pens. Here's the link http://www.yoyospin.com/laminate/ and GOOD LUCK!

Fleabit

Well, the picture is terrible since my camera is not working right, but here is my first attempt at laminating. The finish is lacquer (picture did nothing to capture it) and the wood is Teak and Mahogany. Learned a bunch on this one. Hope the next few turn out better [V]

2005122298_lampne.jpg
<br />

jkirkb94

Great looking pen, Fleabit!! Looks like you did a good job on the laminating. You also might try rotating the barrel 180 degrees to get a different look to your pen. Here is an example of what I mean. Kirk[8D]http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=631&cid=665&page=9# Check out the birdseye maple/honduran rosewood example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom