Ladies pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

I want to make my wife a really nice pen for Christmas. The Jr.'s and Lotus' etc are just too big and masculine. I can't seem to find anything in a smaller size that has the regal look of the big pens. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

PSI has some nice, smaller size capped pens. However, I've found that once most women try writing with a Baron, they realize that the grip is only slightly thicker than a slimline.

alamocdc

BION, most of my female customers prefer a synthetic slimline in spite of my efforts to steer them toward a "nicer" pen. LOML claimed a purple slim I turned a while back and gave me back a Black Locust burl Jr Gent. Said it was beautiful, but she didn't really care for it. Go figger.

Jamie

Is the Barron smaller? I can't tell by the pictures on the web and no one giver dimentions.
I bought a Lotus first and then a Jr. Emperor and it wasn't until I got the blanks turned down that I discovered how <b>huge</b> they were. It would be nice if they would make a quality tricked out pen in a European size or smaller. Everything that's ornate is made for men, that seems a little odd.
Which on-line store has the best selection of quality pens?

Skye

I think barons are smaller than they appear in pics. You can turn them b2b to slim them down or even wasp waist each barrel.

gerryr

I sold an El Toro fountain pen to a lady in her 60's who was all of about 5'3". She just loved the feel. Most of the pens I sell to women are SLs and Olympias. I've also had some interest in the Berea RT European fountain pen(not a high quality kit and almost useless bushings) and the CSUSA flattop American rollerball from women. But, the Baron can be made almost as slim as either of those. I made matching closed end Jr. Statesmans as wedding presents from Blanco Nero Tru Stone and they went over really well, both the bride and groom like them a lot.

alamocdc

I forgot about the Olympia (thanks, Gerry). It is a small, yet very elegant looking twist pen (Cross refill) and it's available in gold and black titanium (and Platinum, I think).

Scott

I like to use one of the nicer "slimline" kits, such as the Father Sing kit from CSUSA, or the streamline round-top from Berea/Arizona Silhouette. I also like to use the acrylic blanks for something special.

Scott.

emackrell

Jamie,

Here's a photo Galanw posted a little while ago that shows the relative size of some of the more popular pens:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18084&SearchTerms=pen,sizes

I think a few others have posted similar photos, all very helpful.

As for the size - I write with a Baron or Jr Gent all the time and find them very comfortable. But a "fat" slimline, esp in acrylic, offers a lot more possibilities for fun in the design -- colors, beads and coves, custom centerbands, all of it.

Just a thought... you could give her a "Pen Of The Month" gift certificate and make a new pen for her every month! Get her involved in the design and color choices.... and you may soon have competition for your lathe!

cheers Eileen [8D]

jtate

Here's a scan of an itty bitty pen I made and carry in my wallet. I'm pretty sure that the kit came from PensOfColor and is called the credit card pen.
I used tubes that were a wee bit longer than those in the kit but it's still little.

I know little wasn't your decisive factor but it might be something to consider.

IttyBittyPen.jpg

DocStram

James .... Trust me on this one ... She is NOT going to be disappointed. That abalone baron is just exquisite. It's 10 times better looking in person than in BB's picture.

bananajeep

My wife prefers the large diameter pens. She says the smaller pens are hard to hold because she has long nails (normal length for women). The smaller pens cause her to dig her nails into the other fingers. I have made her two cigar pens that she loves. One of the cigar pens had an over sized top on it that she has commented makes the pen feel heavy.

Make her a bunch of pens and have her choose the one or ones she likes most.

things to consider.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom