Lacewood or not?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I have a customer who wants a pen made from the wood in the picture. I got this quite a while back when JimGo and I swapped some blanks, or did I get it from Wayne when he was selling some? I think it was labeled Lacewood, but I could be wrong. Anyway, from what what I read on the Hobbit House site, this stuff if often mis-labeled. Anyone care to venture a guess about whether it's Lacewood or Leopardwood?

2006126173527_LacewoodEuroBP.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I can attest to the fact I am not an expert on a solid piece of wood, but when I first started turning pens I was fascinated by the grain pattern of lacewood.
Tome this isn't lace wood.:acewood has a more regular "rectangular" pattern.
I could be mistaken.

TAld

My guess is Lacewood. I have several blanks that look exactly like that. Also noticed four of the blanks that sit atop of the pile begin to show double the amount of "spots" and I think it's because the get exposed to sunlight most of the day. Just a guess.

gerryr

Well, after looking at the photos of David's pens, I agree it is probably Leopardwood. I've sent an email to Kelvin and I know Ryan has some. Thanks everyone.

JimGo

If I recall correctly, Leopard and Lace woods come from the same tree, and are basically heart and sapwood or something like that. This piece might be from a region bordering the two, hence the slight "leopard" appearance in places.

If that's a piece from me, I might have another one Gerry. I haven't made any lace/leopard pens in a while, and I know I had several (5-10) blanks in total.

Do you know what the characteristics were of the wood that she liked? Was it the small circular "spots", or the other aspects of the grain/figure/color? Macadamia is another wood with a leopard-like appearance, but the color and figure are different. Here's a pic of one I made from Macadamia a while ago:<br />

<br />
You'll notice that the color is slightly different, and that the grain pattern is more pronounced than in most of the leopardwood I've seen. I have a few blanks of Macadamia, and I think Big Rob had some as well.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Actually, lacewood and leopardwood are two distinct species. Leopardwood is Roupala brasiliensis and lacewood is Panopsis rubellens. Both are from South America and leopardwood is slightly more scarce. Lacewood is also called silky oak.

gerryr

I just ordered some Macadamia from Rob on Monday and just not long ago ordered some Leopardwood from BB since I needed to order the kit for the pen from him anyway. Pretty soon, I may to steal Gary's slogan about being poor and having lots of wood.[:D]

I looked up a picture of lacewood on the WOODWORKERS WEBB ASSOCIATION

site: http://www.woodworking.org/WC/woodsampler.html

here are pictures of what they show as Lacewood and Silver Oak)Australian lacewood)

Lacewood
200612703533_Lacewood.jpg
<br />
Australian lacewood.

200612703611_silver_oak.jpg
<br />

makes me think you guys are right... may be leopardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom