Laburnum price help please!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ingo Schwartz

Hi guys.

A guy I know has alot of Laburnum, I took 43 kilos/95 pounds of the stuff home today with a price to be set later by the both of us and alot more was left in his barn.

What would be a good price for Laburnum ? is it per meter or per kilo/pound ?

Don't want to rob the guy as I quite like him and he was nice enough to let me know he had this wood, it turns beautifully BTW!

I'll post a pic of todays haul and a pen I made some time ago if you are not familiar with how Laburnum looks when turned :) Is it a widely used wood ? Don't see too much of it on any site.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give :)

12009672_10153260186481429_2423276507714086263_n.jpg

11855841_590310171111923_2047129738059051295_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

BEAUTIFUL LOOKING WOOD. That pen stands out also.

I wouldn't have a clue but someone here should be able to give you an idea. Have you check and inport/export of woods to see if they have an idea?

And hopefully, I will be the first to ask if you would be willing to cut blanks and sell them here on the IAP. If the price is something I can afford, I would consider 10 blanks.

Keep up the good work.

Ingo Schwartz

I think that would depend on the price I could get this for and how much I will actually be able to buy from him, he has a lot more, this was just a sample, he probably has about twice the amount I got from him this time.

If I get it all I just might put some up but the shipping could be a problem, I'm in Iceland, It does not HAVE to be a problem but it could be, I'd have to check it out :)

keithy

I have seen laburnum pen blanks for sale in the UK at a pound a piece for 3/4 x 3/4 x 5.5
A fair price is something you are both happy with. I am guessing that you might get two pen blanks per pound weight of wood allowing for wastage. A fair price might be $1.50 per kilo for wood in the rough like that.

Sabaharr

Whatever you pay for it you could make your money back selling blanks and your wood can be free. Customer 1 right here.

Skie_M

Oh, yes, that's some beautiful wood .... How rare is it there, in Iceland?

How often is something like that used in woodcraft and construction?

Those answers may give us a hint as to what the fair market value may be for that wood ... but I've got a better idea.

If you can cut 1 inch slabs and then rip the slabs into 1 inch by 1 inch boards, and then cut for 5 1/2 inch lengths out of just the heartwood ... I'm sure you can find a lot of us willing to pay 2 dollars a pop for those blanks ... 20 dollars for 10 is nice and easy. You can just offer him half of what you get, with a side arrangement to keep some for yourself and perhaps turn him a pen or two as well! :)

bobleibo

BEAUTIFUL LOOKING WOOD. That pen stands out also.

I wouldn't have a clue but someone here should be able to give you an idea. Have you check and inport/export of woods to see if they have an idea?

And hopefully, I will be the first to ask if you would be willing to cut blanks and sell them here on the IAP. If the price is something I can afford, I would consider 10 blanks.

Keep up the good work.

Add me to that list if the opportunity arises. Beautiful wood and pen.

Ingo Schwartz

I need to figure out a good way to saw this as I don't have a bandsaw big enough or a chainsaw... What saw would be good to saw by hand ?

I might be able to take it to a shop close to me to cut it to size.

As price goes I have made up my mind on a price I'm willing to offer for the whole lot, we'll just have to see what he says on Tuesday when I see him.

I'd totally be willing to sell some but I don't have a way to accept payment though... is paypal complicated ? :redface:

I'm making a JR Gent Fountain pen for a customer tomorrow, will be fun to see how it turns out as it's as fat as the other two I've made :)

Oh, yes, that's some beautiful wood .... How rare is it there, in Iceland?

How often is something like that used in woodcraft and construction?

Those answers may give us a hint as to what the fair market value may be for that wood ... but I've got a better idea.

If you can cut 1 inch slabs and then rip the slabs into 1 inch by 1 inch boards, and then cut for 5 1/2 inch lengths out of just the heartwood ... I'm sure you can find a lot of us willing to pay 2 dollars a pop for those blanks ... 20 dollars for 10 is nice and easy. You can just offer him half of what you get, with a side arrangement to keep some for yourself and perhaps turn him a pen or two as well! :)

1. It is pretty rare and is usually not cut down until it is dangerous, branches are more common to my knowledge.
2. I don't know of anyone who has used it for construction but it is available at the only wood turning supply store in Reykjavik and costs alot there and is used for turning quite a bit I think but I'm not entirely sure.
3. Good idea, but I will be keeping the majority of it myself (I know selfish!) but might be able to sell a few blanks but it depends on how many blanks I get from it.

Given that the whole tree was going to be put in the fire I don't think I'd be willing to pay too much for it...

Last edited:

Skie_M

Take a straightedge (or 2x4) and secure to both sides of the branch or trunk ... then run your saw down the length, keeping it against both straight edges to give yourself a (relatively) flat surface to work with .... temporarily mount it on a "rider board" to keep the stock from moving or shifting while you mill it. (2 nails up through the bottom of the board and into the flat of the stock)

You can then run it through a table saw with the flat against the table, then flip it and put the new flat against the table and start truing up the sides that way ... and finally mill nice straight boards from it. Once you have made the second true flat side, you can remove that temporary rider board.

Just be careful of that saw! Make sure you use a push stick and keep fingers safe!

The same method can be used with a band saw, once you have a flat side and it's small enough to fit in the throat, but you'll want a nice big table for the work.

The initial milling down to size can also be done with a chainsaw, by creating an attachment for the saw that will ride along a straight edge, giving you a straight cut. You mount that straight edge on the side of the tree trunk and just run the chainsaw right down it, giving you either a slab or a half, as you see fit ... you can then repeat to get log quarters or more slabs. Those are a lot easier to work with than branches, but they'll mill up just the same! :)

Gary Beasley

If it was going for firewood check on the local firewood prices and add a little cause you like the guy. You are going to be adding most of the value in the milling and curing of the wood.

Top Bottom