Laboratory Counter Top Material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolphinjon

Hi All,

I'm a chemistry major in college, and I got the idea today of making some pens out of lab counter top material. The problem is that I don't know where to get it from. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jonathan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Jonathan,
Did you not just say that you are a chemistry major in college? Seems to me you have an endless supply![:D][;)] Sorry, Couldn't resist.

Dolphinjon

Ron,

Good point, but I get the feeling that my grades might suffer if I carry a saw into one of the labs and start helpiing myself. Unless I bribe the professors with pens... [:D]

rtparso

I have some scraps from when we built a lab in 99. It is from fisher (hamilton). It is epoxy with an carbon (I think) in it and is very abrasive. Send me your e-mail and snail mail and I will try to cut some for you but the mail may be expensive due to the weight.

Rifleman1776

There is a company in my town (Fischer Scientific) that manufactures labratory counter tops. At one time they would give away scraps. I had some. The stuff is very hard and somewhat abrasive. In fact it could be used as a knife sharpening stone. Absolutely not something one would try to work on a lathe, or any other wood working tool for that matter. There may be other materials but this stuff would be a big no-no.

Dolphinjon

Thanks for all the replies. Some of the companies that make lab counters claim it can be worked with regular woodworking equipment, which is why I was interested. Anywho, thanks for the ideas.

Jonathan

oh, and Ron, I sent you an e-mail. Thanks for the offer!

Tangboy5000

Be very careful, and know what you actually have in front of you. Our countertops have an asbestos core in them. Therefore everytime we need to replace or remodel it turns into a very expensive hassle.

TomServo

Jonathan: most likely it is workable with carbide tools, with their extreme hardness (ie table saw blades). You might be able to work it with a metal lathe or a metal lathe tool in a handle... if it's like the tables we had at my high school (brand new school... 10 years ago), it's some sort of composite - we could definitely scratch it with knives (and often the metal bits on our binders).

Dolphinjon

Hi Tom,

That's what I'm hoping for. The counter tops we have at UNF actually scratch fairly easily and they're less than 5 years old. It'll be interesting to see if it can be turned into pens. Thanks for all the advice everyonne!

Jonathan

I would think these have asbestos, too. The older ones from most labs do. And some of the new countertops are a pressed board core with a synthetic/plastic outter.

Even if you can find a "solid" one anymore, I think the material may chip more than "cut".

Bill

Ravenbsp

Most major research universities will have a small staff of carpenters / cabinet makers who spend much of their time building additional lab benches and workspaces for faculty and grad-students. When our lab was renovated, they threw away a large number of scraps. You might just call maintenance and ask when their next build will occur and if you cane have their left-overs. The newer materials used in our lab benches are very plasticy, tough and scratch resistant. It is completely solid and homogenous all the way through as a used a hole saw to make room for some network cabling routed. None of the carpenters seemed to be using repiratory equipment so I thnink the stuff may be asbestos-free, but always better to ask than be sorry!

Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom