Labels for pen display tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mewell

While looking for a 'professional' way to make stick on labels for clear pen display tubes, I found some Avery "Gold Foil Mailing Labels" (#8987) at my local Office Max store. These are 3/4" x 2 1/4" and have a wicked sticky adhesive on the back. I created a logo by modifying some clipart I found and adding some words using a drawing program (an old version of Canvas). Once I was happy with the results, I pasted it into Word's template for these labels (downloaded from Avery.com) and bingo! Instant labels for pens I'm making to either give away or sell.

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Mark, thanks for posting this, sometimes proper labels are hard to find.

What do you mean by "wicked adhesive" ? Can the labels be peeled off the tubes easily, or is it a permanent adhesive?

Thanks !

dougle40

Mark,
Be careful with those labels , I tried some a while back and they came apart in my printer and I had stickers all over the place . It took quite a while to get them all cleaned out of the printer .

mewell

By that I mean that it is QUITE sticky... Even on tubes that are 5/8" on a side the short edges that go around the curve don't come unstuck.

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Mark, thanks for posting this, sometimes proper labels are hard to find.

What do you mean by "wicked adhesive" ? Can the labels be peeled off the tubes easily, or is it a permanent adhesive?

Thanks !

mewell

I can just imagine it was a mess. I guess I've been lucky since I've run several without incident. The only downside is the relative cost of them. I think I paid about $13 for 300 of them.

This all started after a friend was telling me that he had to spend a considerable amount to have custom labels printed locally.

Mark

Originally posted by dougle40
<br />Mark,
Be careful with those labels , I tried some a while back and they came apart in my printer and I had stickers all over the place . It took quite a while to get them all cleaned out of the printer .

Scottydont

I created an ID strip from nice paper or cardstock using word. I cut them into strips and insert them into the tubes before placing the pen inside. Here is a pic of the general idea.

200513161334_PenLblSS.jpg

mewell

I really like the idea of the strips. I was trying to come up with an easy way to include some blurb about what the pen is made of and maybe a short bit about the process involved. I'd also like to include the refill info. for the person receiving the pen.

Is anyone already doing this [?]

Originally posted by scott m
<br />I created an ID strip from nice paper or cardstock using word. I cut them into strips and insert them into the tubes before placing the pen inside. Here is a pic of the general idea.

wpenm

Mark,
I use the Avery White Permanent I.D. Labels 5/8"x3". The Gold Foil Labels sound like they would be nicer and if they stick better then I may have to try them. I have trouble with the edges peeling up on the 5/8" tubes I use. I also drill a small hole in the cap of the tube and put a wood I.D. card. Penn State has some nice little cards that tell a little about the wood in their download library. I print them on good card stock, punch a hole and tie a gold string through it. They are limited on the type of woods they have. I would like to find another site that has similar cards.

Good idea Scott. That makes a nice label also.

RPM

PSI has some wood id pages for inclusion in pens down near the bottom of this page:

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=LIBR&Store_Code=PSI

Just an idea of another approach

Richard

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Not to wonder to far off the subject of the thread, but you say you are using the clear display tubes...just wondering if they are the round ones or the square ones...and whichever, how you 'support' the pens in the tubes so they don't rub against the sides.

I used the round tubes for a while. Tried supporting them with everything from cotton to styrofoam and nothing appealed to me.

Thanks,
JohnPayton

mewell

John - Right now I only have some triangular ones from Woodcrafters. I'm going to order square ones from Ryan at WoodTurningz.com since they're on sale at the moment. ($25/100). These triangular ones are great for slimlines - The clip fits into the "point" and I don't use any padding. That may change if I start shipping them![:D]
Originally posted by penhead
<br />...just wondering if they are the round ones or the square ones...and whichever, how you 'support' the pens in the tubes so they don't rub against the sides.

melogic

I use a little labeler that i got from Wal-Mart. It is made by Dymo (www.dymo.com). I find this works great for the 3/4" square tubes. I put one label with my business name and web address and another with the type of wood. I then give a wood identification card with care instructions on the opposite side, these are business card size cards.

wayneis

Brother also makes some very nice label machines, thats what I use. I buy the 3/4" black tape with gold lettering and it looks very professional.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom