Knurled mandrel nut problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMisiaszek

One of the mandrels I use is the "Precision" mandrel that screws into a MT#1. Whenever I use it, I have a almost continuous problem with the brass nut loosening while I'm turning. I don't have this problem with my other mandrel, which leads me to the conclusion that I'm missing a step with this newer one. What gives and how can I fix it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodguy1975

Got another nut? Run it up behind it as a jam nut.

Good Luck,

John

Originally posted by PMisiaszek
<br />One of the mandrels I use is the "Precision" mandrel that screws into a MT#1. Whenever I use it, I have a almost continuous problem with the brass nut loosening while I'm turning. I don't have this problem with my other mandrel, which leads me to the conclusion that I'm missing a step with this newer one. What gives and how can I fix it?

wayneis

The only time I remember having that happen to me was when I didn't have the ends of the blanks square. Are you using a washer? I quit using the brass nut because they are too big and I seem to tighten them to easy. I also made me mad when I touched it with my gouge by accident, they're just too darn big to my anyway. I switched to a regular nut and have not had any problems sense.

Wayne

Fred in NC

I tend to agree with Wayne as one possible cause.

This whole thing makes me think ....[;)]

Nuts.... mandrels bending because of the live center,
barrels off center ... bah !!!

There is an idea in my head already !!! NO NUT !!!

I will experiment and let everyone know the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom