Knots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisQC

I seen a few great tutorials here on making knots. However my question is how to make the think slices. Anyone has tips on how to do it right and securely? Since it had to be a nice surface, I'd do it on the tablesaw but how do you it with repeatable success?

Texatdurango

Originally posted by great12b4ever
<br />The best way is to use a vacuum fence. There is a tutorial in the archives on alink for this.

Rob
I don't agree that going to the trouble of making a vacuum fence is necessarily the BEST way.

I make as many thin slices as I want with my table saw without a vacuum fence.

If you go back to your basic table saw safety practices you will remember that it is not the best idea to use both a miter fence and a rip fence together because of the binding action you are creating.

With that concept in mind, if you don't have an adustsable rip fence that you can move back and forth there is an easy way to make very thin, accurate, repeatable cuts very quickly, and it doesn't take a special jig or fence:

1. Use your standard miter gauge to hold your work piece

2. Clamp a "stop" block to your rip fence well ahead of the blade

3. With the workpiece against the miter gage, slide it up against the clamped "stop" block then slide the miter forward, making the cut.

4. With a "zero clearance" blade insert in your table saw, the thin slices will simply fall over to the side when you cut them off.

5. Return the miter, slide the workpiece over to the stop block again and make another cut, and over and over!

Works for me, I've got a box full of assorted color .072" slices just waiting to be used on the next knotted design or segmented pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom