A Knot for Dummies - like me, (new pics added)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
No matter which way you cut your blank when making a cross ( Celtic Knot ) don't cut all the way through. Use a slightly bigger blank and just cut about 3/4 the way through. This means the blank will always stay perfectly aligned. If you use a tablesaw then lower the blade. If you use a chopsaw, then raise the blade using the depth stop. If you use a bandsaw you could do what I did. Just put a clamp on the end of the mitre slide to act as a stop. Hope this helps:D

First cut, see how it doesn't cut through the blank completely
200772823810_cross1.jpg

Second cut...

200772823922_cross2jpg.jpg

Fourth cut...

200772823103_cross3.jpg

Drill and add tube...

200772823110_cross4.jpg

Turn as normal...

2007728231144_cross5.jpg

Heres how I cut for thin stuff....
The clamp on the end of the mitre acts as the depth stop ( and prevents me cutting all the way through my zero clearance fence:D)

2007728231311_bandsaw12.jpg

Hope this helps:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Milpaul

Don't think a "dummy" would come up with this! [:D] Excellent tip, you can now instantly tell if the added piece is the correct width of the material you are taking out.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />Very nice, but where's the finished pen, eh?

Rmartin

The item I was making isn't a pen. It wasn't the object of the thread either.[;)] I'll post it in OTWM tomorrow[:D]
It is now 1.07am here and I'm going to bed.[xx(]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by UKpenmaker
<br />Great idea Steven, what happened to cut number 3[:p][;)].
Any news on whether you can make the meeting or not.

Hi Andrew, the pic of 'cut 4' already has cut 3 in it. I just forgot to take a seperate pic of it.[:I]

I doubt I will be able to make the meet I'm afraid.[:(] But I'm still working on it

JimM

Nicely engineered for the various cuts.

Do you sand the thin stock? I think I have some plans somewhere to build a thin stock sander.

GaryMGg

Steven,
It is so coincidental that you posted this; we were in the shop yesterday AM doing just what you've shown. Then, I come on line and here it is. [8D]
Gary

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I snagged the Bocote blank[:(] Blunt tool!!!
So I made another one with a piece of oak from Andrew( UKpenmaker )
This is still on the lathe, but I'm reasonably happy about the way all the lines are still aligned. The 'flat' is a bit out but I can bring it back with a little more biased sanding. You can see how much I've corrected it by comparing with the second pic. I got the router way out[:I]

200772920851_octknot3.jpg
<br />

2007729201127_octknot.jpg
<br />

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimM
<br />Nicely engineered for the various cuts.

Do you sand the thin stock? I think I have some plans somewhere to build a thin stock sander.

I would love to see the plans too Jim. If you have an electronic copy, please would you send me a set.[8D]
The copper in this is just flattened water pipe

JimM

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />
Originally posted by JimM
<br />Nicely engineered for the various cuts.

I would love to see the plans too Jim. If you have an electronic copy, please would you send me a set.[8D]
The copper in this is just flattened water pipe

PM on its way.

johncrane

Top job looks great Steven, also mate what Glue have you found to be best for gluing brass to wood. l have just bought some Devcon 2ton epoxy which a lot of knife makers use to glue there handles, l haven't tried it out yet.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by johncrane
<br />Top job looks great Steven, also mate what Glue have you found to be best for gluing brass to wood. l have just bought some Devcon 2ton epoxy which a lot of knife makers use to glue there handles, l haven't tried it out yet.

Hi John,
I have only used CA on all of my joints whether wood, plastic, brass,ally etc. All of the simple joints have stood up very well.
I have had some spectacular failures with it too, but I 'm not sure if it was because the tool was blunt or I was being a bit aggresive.
Most of the time I use med or thick. Only because the thin stuff sets before I get the joint together.

I know loads of folks say that CA / heat don't mix but a while back I stretched an acrylic blank with a heat gun. I CA'd two little offcuts to each end. I then hung it up and kept adding weights to it. I will try and find the photo I took, but I reckon I got about 6kg on a 1cm sq area and stretched the blank by 1/2 inch. The joint never did come apart and believe me, that blank was really hot!![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom