Knights Armor Cap Problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

I think this has been addressed before but can't seem to find the thread.

Having a problem with the finial cap going completely on. Is there a trick to reaming the depth of the cap? Any ideas?

Thanks
Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalper

Since I've never assembled one of these I'm talking through my hat, but reading the supplied instructions I don't see an assembly problem -- unless there is a a little burr or something in the finial cap preventing it from sliding completely down onto the twist mechanism. Is it possible to disassemble without destroying the twist mechanism?--or just press it a little harder:confused: -- no guts, no glory.

rblakemore

Good evening; I made my first Knight's Armor a few weeks ago.
And, I had no trouble with the cap/finial. I suggest being real straight and careful!! I have pressed parts on wrong and crooked before - and they are tough to take apart. I did read somewhere that the Knight's Armor and cousin Celtic (both from PSI) need the tube/blank a little long, so be careful on trimming.

plano_harry

If you are referring to the "helmet" finial, it is finger press and removable to replace the inkfil. If the top of the transmission stick more than 0.4 inches above the top of the clip assembly, your problem is not the helmet, but the transmission may not be fully screwed into the cap assembly. Helmet depth is 0.51

Last edited:

plano_harry

There will be about 0.015 gap between the helmet and the clip assembly. It doesn't press snug against it. It needs to rotate freely.

Silverado

Thanks for the tips Harry. I am not at home at the moment to check but I will let you know what I find.

plano_harry

This is a fun kit. I hope I can sell some. If you are really careful in sawing, you can get two pens out of one 5" blank. Lots of creative options.

ossaguy

On the ones that I have done,there was the glue that they used that has blobbed out at the inside deep inside the helmet.The fix that the owner of PSI came on here and told us is to use the 8mm barrel trimmer shaft,( from the kit that you get several shafts) and stick it in there reamer end first,then turn it to allow it to scrape the junk out.It's amazing how much comes out....

PSI told me it only happens on the antique bronze ones,,but I had a couple of the pewter ones that needed it also.

You don't want to go overboard with reaming it,as you can make the bore too large so it won't fit tight on the end.If you do,careful application of blue lok-tight up at the end of the bore of the helmet will be needed....DAMHIK...

That's been my experience,anyway on the 11 that I made.

Steve

WriteON

I put 2 together is AM. Both worked out well. I think they are constructed nicely. No issue at all. They seem to be well made kits.

Attachments

• Knights Armor.jpg
    Knights Armor.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 70
Top Bottom