Knife Scales

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That's not a dumb question at all. Knife scales are blanks cut such that they can be shaped into knife handles. They come in a variety of sizes, so you have to read the dimensions to know if you can get a pen out of them. The ones that are only half an inch thick are really only good for straight slimlines.

Craig B

Jake,
Yeah, I'm guilty of being a knifemaker. 15 + years of experience at it part time. Was full time for awhile, hope to go full time again sometime in the future.
To answer your question, most knife scales will be 3/8, 1/4, or 1/8" thick. Pieces or blocks will be 1-1 1/2" thick. All will mostly be 5" long.
I've looked at some of my suppliers for knife supplies catalogs and have considered buying dymondwood pieces off them to cut into pen blanks.
Knifemaking is a very interesting hobby, but not one that you will learn as quick as making pens. Start with a quality kit knife and simply attach the handles and work up from there. Or, you can be a stubborn cuss like I was and jump in with both feet and learn how to grind, heat treat, temper, and finish from the raw material. Either way, it is a very satisfying hobby.

tipusnr

Looks like knife scales could be used as raw material for glue-up custom blanks. Depending on the width - 2, 3, or 4 of the 5" long blanks could be glued up into some interesting blanks!

ilikewood

Some of you have seen the mule deer antler I sold a while back...I got it from a fantastic friend who is a full time retired knife maker. He seems to love it, but it is much different from pen-turning. The setup would require a whole new set of tools as most are not compatible with both hobbies.

Craig B

Bill in Idaho,
I don't want to sound critical towards you but it depends on how many knives he wants to make and also what tools he has already. I've made knives using the flat platen on a 4x36 belt sander, as well as the flat wheel on the disc sander. Knives can also be made with simply a hacksaw, files and sandpaper. Hardening can be done in a charcoal B-B-Q and tempering in the kitchen oven. Although these are not the optimum knifemaking tools, it can be done and has been done for more years than knives being made with expensive belt sanders and cnc machines.
Jake, start out simple if you want to try your hand at knifemaking to see if you are going to like it. It does take quite awhile to learn how to do it if you have not had any experience in metalworking but you can go to www.knifenetwork.com and there is a forum on there that will answer all your questions. There is even a section on the forum dedicated to using what we would call primitive tools, i.e. files and sandpaper.
Have fun with it!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Jake Byrd
<br />I have been looking at wood on ebay all day, and have been wondering. Also, anybody make knives? It sounds interesting.(like I need another hobby.)

Thanks,
Jake

Jake,

Google knife making supplies and be prepared for lots of hits. Two companies that sell beginner kits are North Coast Knives and Texas Knife Makers Supply. (Those may not be the exact names) I made this knife with a North Coast Kit and some bubinga. The knife and pen were my personal Freedom Pen Project when my wife deployed to Kuwait.

2005220153851_Bubinga%20Cigar.jpg
<br />

2005220153930_Bubinga%20Locking%20Liner.jpg
<br />

Docsmith45

I've made quite few knives. It's a longer process than the pens but equally rewarding. I have used Jantz Supply in Davis OK for blades and supplies and really had good luck with them. Texas knife is a good supplier also. Give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom