Which kits for novice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jamesbil

As the title really..
Which kits would you recommend for a novice?

Something cheap and cheerful, easy to turn and assemble. Cheap enough not to cry if I mess it up. Good enough quality to be a nice pen..

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mjrbuzz

I m noob, i started with slimlines cause of cost. I really wish i woulda started with a simgle tube pen.

CaptainJane

newbie kits

I am learning too. I am trying lots of new kits, and have found the following.

1. The Smitty Le Roi Elegant Royale bundle gets you 6 nice single tube kits and bushings-all for $30.

2. The PSI Executive is a nice single tube pen, which is available in several platings, and very reasonably priced.

I had terrible luck on 7mm drilled tubes- lots of tubes pulling out, getting stuck, tubes blowing out, etc. Since switching to larger tube sizes, I have greatly improved my results. Plus, the blanks are so thin and wimpy when finished.

Also, I rationalize that after spending an hour turning a $5 blank, the satisfaction of using a 5-$10 kit, far exceeds the satisfaction of a $3 kit.

Edward Cypher

Woodturningz has the mesa, lancer and celtic that are all single tube pens. You may want to checkout Smitty's Pens as Captain Jane suggested a great deal for the 6 pens.

magpens

I suggest you stay away from slimline pen kits ... you won't be happy with the results, IMO. ( the voice of experience here !!! )

I agree with the suggestion already made of going with a Sierra style. The Mesa kit from Woodturningz would be a good start, or the kits already suggested from SmittysPenWorks. The name "Sierra" is actually a kit from Berea Hardwoods. I don't actually like the domed endcap on either the Sierra or the Mesa, myself. The Zodiac from ExoticBlanks is a much nicer pen and uses the same tube and bushings as the Sierra/Mesa ... it has a flat end and a very attractive center band. I haven't used Smitty's pen kits, myself.

Don't go with the Aero as a starting pen ... it is a small version of the sierra.

If I were starting all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd choose Zodiac. It's easy, being a single tube design, and the result is a very attractive pen that you'd be proud to show. It's quite like the Elegant Sierra.

It is confusing when you start, isn't it ?

plano_harry

Beginners are often overly concerned with the cost of a kit they might screw up. You typically don't screw up a kit, but the blank might not be perfect. Buy a good quality kit you will be proud of when you finish. Buy extra tubes, they are very cheap. You don't have to assemble every tube set you turn. If it is less than what you want, put it on the shelf for historical reference, or turn the material off and start over. Even more turning experience!

Your time is worth something. Have good hardware waiting when you get it right. I also started on cigars, but bought quality platings to frame my successes. Sierras are also easy to learn on.

Remember, a photographer is known for what he shows, not for what he deletes.

lwalper

I take another track -- get a bundle of slimline / trimline kits. Buy them by the dozen - they're inexpensive and the options for customization are endless. You'll have $2-3 involved in the finished product and be able to practice drilling, gluing, turning, finishing, and still have something you can afford to gift - by the dozen. Your friends and family will enjoy using something you made. After you've made a few you might even sell a couple and quickly recoup your initial investment.

WriteON

Wood blanks. Get some 36" long maple or oak 1/2" or 3/4" dowels to practice drilling, turning and finishing. They are CHEAP. They'll go a long way. They can be used for finished pens if you like them.

Last edited:

magpens

I am going to change my recommendation : :)

The 30 Caliber Bolt Action pen kit might appeal to you. It is a little more expensive than the sierra style, but is even simpler to turn. It has one tube and the result looks really good turned with straight sides - ie. a perfect cylinder. It is easy to assemble and will appeal to anybody who takes it in their hands. It is available in several different platings

If you go this route, be sure to buy only the PSI version of the 30 Caliber Bolt Action pen kit. It is available from PSI, Woodturningz, Exoticblanks, and a company in Canada, William Woodwrite ( penblanks.ca ). There are knock-off versions available but the ones I've tried have intolerably stiff clips and, generally, are lacking in quality, IMHO.

Justin H

Repeating...

Just going to repeat what someone else said above.

BUY EXTRA TUBES. You are MUCH more likely to destroy a blank while drilling/gluing or turning it than you are to damage the kit hardware. So, pick a pen that you like the looks of to start with.

Do NOT buy any kits that you are unable to order pre-cut replacement tubes for unless you are already familiar with model rail-road building, or stained glass creation or some other hobby that makes you familiar with making very tiny, very accurate cuts.

WriteON

Wood blanks. Get some 36" long maple or oak 1/2" or 3/4" dowels to practice drilling, turning and finishing. They are CHEAP. They'll go a long way. They can be used for finished pens if you like them.

Forgot to mention. Cheap quality dowels are available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

BruceA

Get TWO Sierra blanks from one 5" stock blank

Sierra tubes are 2.20" in length. You can easily get TWO usable blanks to work with from a standard 5" blank. This is ANOTHER reason to start with the Sierra series - you get TWO CHANCES per blank!!

jfoh

There is nothing wrong with slime line if you decide to throw away the center band. You can control the length and size of the pen to make almost endless pen combinations. You can add oops band to the ends of contrasting type of woods and make a very dressed up final pen.

Top Bottom