Kits missing parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I have had a lot of issues with kits I bought when I first started from Rockler--no more kits for me from them. I got kits with wrong sized tubes, missing parts etc. I have made enough pens now, (around 150) that I have experienced several kits that were missing parts. I was just wanting to ask here if others experience kits with missing/incorrect parts?

Also which maker do you feel makes the best kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Every manufacturer makes mistakes, and if they don't get caught before they ship out, then a lot of times a single vendor or retailer gets a "bad batch" and you might say that whenever you bought X from this company everything was great, but whenever you bought the same from another company there was a huge number of problems...

I learned early on to check the parts as soon as I got the kits, and I have yet to find a vendor not willing to make it right soon after. I admit that in my early days I did not do that, and I would not expect a vendor to fix a mistake that I purchased a year ago (but many have and readily will!!) There are vendors I have NEVER gotten a problem from (yet), and vendors I have, but mistakes WILL happen, it's how they are handled that matter.

Last edited:

JimB

I've only had it happen a couple times. In both cases the vendor replaced the kit or part without any questions and at no cost to me. It's going to happen so as long as the vendor makes it right I don't worry about it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mistakes DO happen.

But they ARE rare!

However, the vendors receive the pen kits in bags of ten kits, usually. So, if a person in the manufacturing line was making a mistake--missing a part in the kit---they probably did it for that whole bag. So, it is not surprising if you find several "bad" kits together.

IF it is one of Exotics' kits and you call me, I ask lots of questions. This is NOT because I doubt you, I am trying to determine how much of my inventory MAY be infected with the problem you are having. It is much more economical for me to check my remaining kits than it is to have to ship product that has an error. AND as a customer you are happier receiving CORRECT, COMPLETE products.

So, I ask a lot of questions to see which kits I need to check before we ship any more!

Rockler has gone through a lot of changes in their pen kits in the last two years. So, it is no surprise to find they had some issues. Post pics of your "not quite right" kits and we may be able to help you "fill them out".

Good Luck,
Ed

turncrazy43

It has happened to me as well. My advise is to stop buying from that store. Buy your kits here from our member vendors. If by chance there were a part missing, very rarely, they will make it good for you and the quality will be better.

bedangerous

I have had incomplete and defectively made kits from multiple vendors who have all made good when called. They just do not make or care for things like before. Pride in work is a rare thing these days but that is a whole nother discussion.
Mitch

wouldentu2?

I have experienced that and sierra style pens with a chipped spot in the black enamel. Especially irritating when its the only one of that style you have. Now I always look them over. Of the style I make Berea seems best, of course the more I spend on it the better it is.

Top Bottom