Which kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Awhile back there was some discussion in the group buy forum regarding Dayacom kits and the fact that some of them are no longer available from any vendors here in the USA. Can anyone fill me in on which styles are not available from USA vendors.

With respect to the same subject. If someone were to offer a choice of one style and one finish in fountain and rollerball which style and finish would you want offered. Please do not consider this an offer.

Dean, there's nothing for sale here but if you want to move this to business classified go ahead.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Smitty - I've moved this from the casual converstion to the penturning area, as it pertains to pens without a doubt.

I can see where you could possibly take this as a business thing, but as long as this remains general information it is fine. It will have to turn into a business post if you make this into "I'm going to offer or try".

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
That's fine

Smitty - I've moved this from the casual converstion to the penturning area, as it pertains to pens without a doubt.

I can see where you could possibly take this as a business thing, but as long as this remains general information it is fine. It will have to turn into a business post if you make this into "I'm going to offer or try".

OK, I don't know if I'll do anything with this or not.

Brooks803

Since they were fading out just as I was fading in I'm not familiar with all of them, but to my knowledge the ones in question are: Emperor, Imperial, and Lotus

Personally I'd love to see the emperor make a comeback, with the gold accents

Russianwolf

I was just wondering, why would a certain type of pen kit not be sold anymore besides that nobody buys it.

its not that people don't buy, but they move slower and the capital tied up is substantial. To buy the MOQ of Emp Jrs for example is around $15k for one style only. And CSUSA was stocking 4 styles.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
They are sold

I was just wondering, why would a certain type of pen kit not be sold anymore besides that nobody buys it.

They are sold - you can go to Dayacom's website and buy them - you need to spend between $1400 and $1800 to buy them because you have to buy at least 30 kits from $48 to $60 each. A little less each if you buy 50.

No supplier that I know of in the USA is currently stocking certain styles because for wholesale pricing you have to order 500 of each, that is a big investment to stock just one style.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Lack of interest

I guess there isn't as much interest in this as I thought there would be. It seems there was a pretty lively talk in the group buy forum - maybe I should have named this "which dayacom kits"

65GTMustang

My vote would be the Emperor and Emperor Jr.
I also like the Lotus and Imperial

One other thought??? -
Perhaps someone can PM some suggestions if these are already available.

I would like to have access to "Nice" burled pen boxes.

I won't mention any names of specific suppliers - but the recent "High End" clear top pen boxes that were recently added to there catalogue and then back ordered for two months....simply are not worth the purchase - This is only my opinion

ldb2000

Leroy , the main kits that everyone wanted was the Emperors and
Imperials in Gold . Not everyone who wanted these kits may have seen this thread . PM Roy and Andy , they were the main people who wanted them and might meet the MRQ by themselves .

IPD_Mr

Emperors would be nice. Not sure which plating. I would be happy with either. Same to be said for the rollerball or FP. Either one would be fine. Beggers can't be choosers.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Imperials in Gold . Not everyone who wanted these kits may have seen this thread . PM Roy and Andy , they were the main people who wanted them and might meet the MRQ by themselves .

Which raises an interesting question. If a small # of people can reach the MRQ (in this example 2 people) then why don't they??

That in itself may tell us alot about why these are no longer available.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Roy responded

My namesake from Oklahoma responded....

jttheclockman

I guess there isn't as much interest in this as I thought there would be. It seems there was a pretty lively talk in the group buy forum - maybe I should have named this "which dayacom kits"

Interested, yes. But to limit to one pen and one plating ,no. That is not a good way to offer these pens in my opinion. We have hashed this out with Dayacom before and it turned out a dead end. I will wait on Dave of Timberbits to make the big play. There just might be some value there.

Wish you good luck if you are going to take this on.

jttheclockman

My vote would be the Emperor and Emperor Jr.
I also like the Lotus and Imperial

One other thought??? -
Perhaps someone can PM some suggestions if these are already available.

I would like to have access to "Nice" burled pen boxes.

I won't mention any names of specific suppliers - but the recent "High End" clear top pen boxes that were recently added to there catalogue and then back ordered for two months....simply are not worth the purchase - This is only my opinion

If you are looking for top quality high end burl pen boxes check out Timberbits. I can vouch for these to be good looking for sure.

EricJS

Since they were fading out just as I was fading in I'm not familiar with all of them, but to my knowledge the ones in question are: Emperor, Imperial, and Lotus

Personally I'd love to see the emperor make a comeback, with the gold accents

This is also true with me. I missed out on what I consider the nicest high-end kits.

I'd certainly buy several Emperor & Imperial. All platings, especially gold.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not a group buy

Interested, yes. But to limit to one pen and one plating ,no. That is not a good way to offer these pens in my opinion. We have hashed this out with Dayacom before and it turned out a dead end. I will wait on Dave of Timberbits to make the big play. There just might be some value there.

This is not about a group buy - I fully understand the problems we met trying to do the group buy with Dayacom and I don't know anybody who would touch that with a stick.

timberbits

This is not about a group buy - I fully understand the problems we met trying to do the group buy with Dayacom and I don't know anybody who would touch that with a stick.

As were all aware about the issues of the availability of these kits, I have been begging and pleading with Dayacom since December to sell me these kits.

I have begged numerous times over hours of telephone conversations but the answer has always been the same -

"GPW in Australia is selling them so you are not allowed. If you were based in the US or any other country, I would have no issues selling these kits to you.

I have never dealt with any factory before that will not sell to a begging customer with a fist full of dollars.

After all this time, I am still scratching my head a bit because Dayacom will sell to any man or women off the street if they fronted up with the cash (at volumes of only 30 kits at a time - my order was going to be much much greater than that). However because I am a Dayacom agent - the answer is NO!

I have since moved on - as you are all probably aware - these kits are monstrously expensive. Other Taiwan/Chinese/Japan and South Korean manufacturers are falling over themselves for business.

The Emperor and the Cambridge are very similar kits. Yes the Emperor is bigger and the JR Emperor is smaller than the Berea Cambridge. If you matched item for item, the Cambridge is not that dis-similar to Emperor, just different diameters and different engravings. Also yes the Cambridge has an black center band, but that can easily be fixed. Just compare the prices demanded by Dayacom compared to the Cambridge sellers. Is it worth double the price?

I too will get some pen made for the high end market. Will the look similar to the Lotus and Emperor? I say no, but others will argue that they will. Will it cost a fraction of the above? I am betting my house on it.

It will take a while to get the kits onto the market place because designs have to be approved and molds have to be made. The process has started.

I hope I have not hijacked this thread

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Dave is was actually me who threw your name out there and if anyone hijacked the thread it was me but thanks for the info and update. I just was not sure what this thread was. Is it a feeling out or what. It has been discussed to great lengths in another thread about Dayacom and their unwillingness to work with us. I am sure myself and many others here would love to be able to get some of their highend kits back on the market here. Just look at the names that posted to that thread. I tried to get them to come here and at least talk to us and they did but to no avail. I also understand the great finacial burden. It was discussed that you Dave, and also another member who would be willing to handle this stepped up but again to no avail.

So to come here with another feeling out post to me is a tease again and I think many are tired of the teases and thus did not post to this.

If Smitty is going to pursue an avenue to aquire a kit or two then sell them I say fantastic and bring them on. There is no need to feel this out again the numbers are there or at least were there. Look at the list of people who signed up for them and look at the kits that were the most popular.

Maybe I stepped out of line on the original post but this is what I feel. Again Dave thanks and Smitty good luck with whatever it is you are attempting to do. All have a great day!!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Information

If you read my first post - I asked which kits were the ones that were no longer available in the USA. I asked because I didn't know. The aborted group buy was not limited to just the ones that couldn't be purchased elsewhere but also included (as near as I could tell) all high end Dayacom kits.

I then asked which kits IAP members missed the most, because I am interested in knowing that. I think I have found out.

I am very carefully not wording this to point in a direction that can be construed as an offer to sell anything, because it is not. If that changes you'll see something in the classifieds.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks

Thanks for the information to all who responded. If I decide to do somethng with this it will be in the classified ads. And it won't be until at least after the Le Roi and Cigars have all been delivered.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you read my first post - I asked which kits were the ones that were no longer available in the USA. I asked because I didn't know. The aborted group buy was not limited to just the ones that couldn't be purchased elsewhere but also included (as near as I could tell) all high end Dayacom kits.

I then asked which kits IAP members missed the most, because I am interested in knowing that. I think I have found out.

I am very carefully not wording this to point in a direction that can be construed as an offer to sell anything, because it is not. If that changes you'll see something in the classifieds.

Actually, Smitty, the "aborted group buy" did have lots of styles---but none of them were "currently available" from an American source (CSUSA). So, if we wanted them, Dayacom direct was the most expeditious vendor.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks Ed

Thank you - I thought it was just open to anything Dayacom sold. But, I didn't know how to dig back to find out what all had been on the list either.

Actually, Smitty, the "aborted group buy" did have lots of styles---but none of them were "currently available" from an American source (CSUSA). So, if we wanted them, Dayacom direct was the most expeditious vendor.

Top Bottom