Kitless tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryMGg

A current discussion leads me to ask:

What do y'all think of the idea of buying a bunch of tube sets, turning the tubes, and then buying the kits when a bunch of barrels were ready to be assembled?

I'm finding that with road trips, work and projects for LOML the 50-100 kits I have on hand (mostly Barons, Jr. Gents, and Jr. Statesman) aren't moving fast enough.
Might I be better off buying tubes, turning the barrels, and ordering the complete kits when I'm ready to assemble a batch?
Sure, I'd end up with lots of extra tubes but that'd start the next cycle.

I'm not doing shows and high volumes; rather I'm stocking a few retailers and selling one-offs to co-workers and such.
What'd'y'll think?

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Gary,

I do the same. I just ordered extra tubes so when I ran out of kits, I can atleast turn the barrel while waiting for the kits to come in.

Randy_

Are you planning on turning to size and finishing the blanks??

Onliest problem I see with that is if you should happen th get a batch of hardware that is a little off, your preturned blanks might not fit the hardware. Admittedly, the chances of it happening are slim; but Mr. Murphy is still hanging around. Maybe it would be more productive to utilize some of that pre-turning time in creating new markets for your pens? Then you might be able to better balance your production with your sales. Just thinking out loud.....the idea may not be worth the paper it is written on.

CycleTurner

I do something similar. I have a bunch of extra tubes. After I turn the blanks, if I don't like the shape or the wood or finish or whatever, I put it aside and work on another blank. I don't make pens with every blank I turn, but I don't destroy them for the tubes either.

It may be a good idea to get the long brass tubes and cut your own. It would be less costly that way. I use a small tube cutter to cut the tubes and small round file to reshape the slightly crimped ends.

-CT

Randy_

Originally posted by CycleTurner
<br />.....It may be a good idea to get the long brass tubes and cut your own. It would be less costly that way. I use a small tube cutter to cut the tubes and small round file to reshape the slightly crimped ends.

Only problem with that is you can't buy long tubes for a lot of the kits currently on the market.

GaryMGg

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Are you planning on turning to size and finishing the blanks? ... problem I see with that is if you should happen th get a batch of hardware that is a little off, your preturned blanks might not fit the hardware. Admittedly, the chances of it happening are slim...
I'm planning to make finished barrels ready to assemble, then buy more kits.
I'm expecting that a high-end kit will fit correctly. The only issue I can see is IF the manufacturer changes the specs, I'd be screwed. That happened with the transition from Jr. Gent I -&gt; II, didn't it?

IF I can be certain that the kit sizes won't change, I think this is an idea that meets my needs. I wouldn't be too concerned that the hardware isn't sized correctly. And, I'd be matching each barrel to a measurement off a caliper rather than bushings.

I've got some time to think on it.

Gary

Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />I often buy extra tubes. On the more expensive kits, I may turn several blanks before I find one which meets my standards.

I always buy extra tubes, sometimes as many as three times the number of kits ... for the exact reason that RMartin stated ... I like to have several "choices" before I press a kit together ... I have also NEVER milled the tube over 1/4" too short .. HA! right!

jeffj13

Like others, I do this as well. I typically turn and finish several blanks. When I find ones I really like, I buy kits for them.

jeff

DKF

As with the others....I always buy extra tubes whenever I order kits....this results in lots of extra tube sets for those specific kits...I can always turn and finish the blank, even if I don't have the kits on hand....next time I order kits, there are pens ready to assemble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom