kitless info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmombrea

hello,
i'm brand new at this - i ordered a starter setup from penn state and it just arrived yesterday. this starter package has 40 slimline pen kits in it, and my plan is to work my way through those 40, learning as much as i can along the way. however, my ultimate goal is to create custom resin pens. while i'm new to turning, i have been engraving corporate logos on pens for about 10 years. my specialty is montblanc. the resin they're made out of does not lend itself to laser engraving, so i've developed a rotary engraving process. the pen i engrave most retails at around $400, and i also engrave on a lot of waterford pens, and over the years have also engraved on waterman, parker, aurora, montegrappa, pelikan, faber castell, taccia, and other high end pens. this business is generated and supported by the advertising specialty industry. i have slowly developed relationships with high end pen retailers across the country, and i think they may be willing to show some of my pens in their show rooms, which is my ultimate goal here.

anyway, this is all background info to support this question: does anyone know of a source where i can get the components of a pen that doesn't look like it came from a pen kit? once i'm done with this initial 40 pen kits, i hope to need clips/rings/nibs etc that look custom, unique and high-end. and also i'm going to need a source for good looking presentation boxes. it's all about perceived value! thanks for any advice

Ed McDonnell

Here's something to consider:

Silver Pen Parts

Or, if you really want custom, create your own design in wax on your rotary engraver and have someone cast it for you to your specs. Or learn to do your own casting.

Alternatively, eliminate all the metal from the pen (except the nib) and make everything out of resin.

Ed

WoodLM

if you are going to be looking for different odds and ends, most of our venders on here have everything that you will need, and they are great people to work with. check out the library for a lot of good information... it has saved me tons of headaches! i too am thinking about starting down the road of kitless, and what i have found on this site alone make me a million time more confident than if i had just dove into it! hope this helps!

-Logan

Top Bottom