Kitless Fountains.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hornet406

I am interested in learning how to make kitless fountain pens. I have watched some videos available on you tube, but have not been able to find in depth documentation on types of tap and dies, the various sizes needed, or suppliers of components.

I am told that the standard and metric tap and die sets I have for automotive use will not work. Is this true??? If so, where is a good place to purchase the necessary tools?

I have made some fountain pens from various kits, and they usually sell as soon as they hit the table, so I am looking forward to taking it to the next level.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

79spitfire

Most of the taps and dies are readily available. Try Silver Pen parts. The problem with most of the automotive sets is the thread pitches are way too coarse.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Most pen threads are finer than the ones in your std commercial sets. Its not that you cant use them but the coarser the thread the thicker the material to cut the thread in and the larger in diameter the pen becomes. If you have an 11mm hole for the Nib to fit in the cap and you use a 1.25 thread pitch you will need to have an O.D. of around 15mm on the cap
Im a fan of .75 pitch threads although several use 1mm pitch. The coarser the thread the more likely you will tear the material your trying to make a pen out of.

Top Bottom