Kitless El Grande, for starters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Could someone (or more than one) verify my measured thread sizes for the El Grande rollerball/fountain pen kit, please:

Metric threads

Finial end: 10 x .75 single thread
Feed: 10 x 1 single thread
Cap/Body: 12 x 0.8 triple start thread
Cap/Cap: 8 x 0.8 single thread (this is the black cap on the closed end of cap)

I am pretty sure of the thread pitch, but not so sure of the diameter.

I am getting set up to do kitless and thought I would start by copying the El Grande.

The reasons I made this choice are: I already have the Cap/Body tap&die (albeit, in double start thread); the Feed tap&die is readily available at HF and Princess Auto; if I start with a closed-end design that's all I need for starters.

Also, what size holes do I drill, and what size tenons do I cut, please, for the various tap&die requirements ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thank you, Chuck. . Is there a similar rule for calculating the size of the tenon for threading ?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you, Chuck. . Is there a similar rule for calculating the size of the tenon for threading ?
I'm afraid I'm no help there. I only use two sizes. It seems I have a chart for that out there. Not sure. Hopefully Redburn or someone can help with the tenon size for you.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
The tenon will be the same size as the required thread.......theoretically.
In reality, and with a little experience, you will make it a shade under the thread size. So, a 10mm male thread will need a 10mm tenon. (9.95 to 9.97mm)
This simply stops the die from trying to cut threads with sharp peaks, which invariably chip off while threading. :wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The tenon will be the same size as the required thread.......theoretically.
In reality, and with a little experience, you will make it a shade under the thread size. So, a 10mm male thread will need a 10mm tenon. (9.95 to 9.97mm)
This simply stops the die from trying to cut threads with sharp peaks, which invariably chip off while threading. :wink:
That's it!!! Yeah, what he just said :biggrin::rolleyes:

magpens

OK, thanks, guys !!! . I am starting to get the the idea I think .

When I say the cap-to-body thread is 12 x 0.8, it is actually 11.86 outer diameter, so that is quite a bit smaller than the minus 0.5% of nominal (as in Skiprat's example above). So if I were to make the body tenon in this case ~11.90 I'd probably be OK.

As for the cap, drilling to 12 - 0.8 = 11.2mm seems to be the thing to do, per Chuck's example above. . 11.2 mm = 0.441" so close enough to use 7/16" = 0.438".

And for the feed ... 10 x 1 ... I'll drill a hole of 9 mm.

Woohoo ! . I'm off to make my first closed-end kitless ! . Think I'll try an Alumilite blank.

But don't expect to see the results for a few days ... I've got a customer order to finish !

Last edited:
Top Bottom