kit storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gc

what are some of the ideas to store the kits after ordering. I have some kits from different makers and each has different mandrels, bushings etc? I currently have a plastic "tool case" that I bought from JoAnn fabric store where my wife shops, can't beat the price. It holds quite a lot and is easy to store. any ideas?:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kevin M

I have several of the plastic Folgers coffee containers that store-wood blanks, antler, steel wool, un-opened pen kits, clear plastic display tubes, pen boxes, etc,. Use a black marker to denote what is inside and put on the shelf. For bushings and open kits I use a snap lid flat box with compartments.

I'm real high tech. I use the cardboard ends off of some florescent lights that I bought & write on the end of each one of the boxes what it holds, kits & bushings. I also have a organizer from HD that has my drill bits, MM, extra tubes, etc. I also use some of the HD organizers for blanks. My wife is a recycler & I just scoped a box that has cardboard boxes that steaks come in. That will become a blanks organizer. ANd for all of the out of work commedians in pen land, the only steak at my house is one used to hold a tent down. I prefer venison and deer meat, you know deer ol' balonie or bologna for the educated folks.

Daniel

I keep my bushings in a couple of 30 drawer parts cabinets. the type withthe little plastic drawers. my blanks are simply in boxes and not really organized those that are not scattered around on dressers, benches and the like. my pen kits are in a 10"X 14" X 8" rubbermade container so that they remain portable. I carry the container to my shop then bring it back home I do some work in both locations.

Scottydont

I buy plastic Black and Decker parts bins there are 5 seperate parts bins in a plastic case with carry handle. I have one for each brand and style of kit I order. I keep an instuction doc and bushin size chart in each one. They are stackable and pretty inexpensive. I bought them at Lowes.

Scottydont

Originally posted by scott m
<br />I buy plastic Black and Decker parts bins there are 5 seperate parts bins in a plastic case with carry handle. I use one bin for each brand and style of kit I order. I keep an instuction doc and bushin size chart in each one. They are stackable and pretty inexpensive. I bought them at Lowes.

Fred in NC

I got some drawers from WalMart. Rubbermaid mini-drawer tower with 5 drawers each. They are 7 x 8 x 10-3/8" high. About $5. By removing the top you can make units more than 5 drawers high, they just snap together. I use these for kits.

dougle40

I use the plastic storage boxes that are found in the fishing department . I have 3 of them , 2 for pen kits and 1 for bushings , barrel trimers , dissassembly tools etc.

rtjw

I am like doug. I use the fishing tackle boxes from walmart. I got a big one that I put bushings and bits and parts in the top part and kits in the bottom.

Rifleman1776

I use a set of small drawers and label the outside "pen kits", "call reeds" (duck and game calls), "pen and small project tools", etc. I am limiting my pen styles and sources to what works on a so-called 7 mm mandrel, same as I use for the calls. My blanks are stored on a shelf in document boxes. These are very sturdy cardboard 9"X12"X2", I label them on the outside if the hold only one kind of wood, (i.e. Bethlehem olive), unlabeled if there is a variety in there.

its_virgil

I've tried the plastic drawers, medicine bottles, coffee cans, peg boards,tackle boxes, tool boxes and just about every storage suystem one could think of and here is what I've gravitated to.

Kits: my kits are stored in cigar boxes, 26 of them...each kit has its own home...the boxes are labeled on the ends as to maker, kit, and plating and are stored on a shelf out of the way but in close reach. Cigar type school boxes are are available anywhere school supplies are sold.

Bushings: my bushings are stored on a metal shower curtain ring/hook/whatever it is called. One set per ring, labeled with kit information and each set of bushings is hanging on a small cup hook under the shelf used to store the kits. When turning, the labeled curtain ring hangs on a cup hook in front of the lathe and when I'm finished the bushings immediately go back on the curtain rings. When I had them loose in a tackle box the tackle box was overturned and I spent hours sorting about 100 pieces of metal that look identical when dumped together. Slimline bushings are kept in a magnetic metal bowl next to the lathe. I have lots of them for use as spacers and other things. I only use the 1/4 inch mandrel so all of my bushings have the same size hole. Mandrels are kept in a cabinet drawer. How did I accumulate so many mandrels?

Do a good turn daily!
Don

GregD

You mean we're supposed to organize this stuff????
I have a set of metal drawers that are about as old as I am that I keep my pen/pencil kits in. Then I have a small toolbox where I keep bushings, drill bits etc. My blanks are kept on some shelfs that are mounted on the wall above my lathe.

Mainebowlman

Found a free 7-day pill box at the local supermarket pharmacy. It's perfect for storing my most frequently used bushings. Since each compartment snaps really tight and I only open one "day" at a time, I eliminate the chance of spilling the others. And no more fingering around small compartments to get the bushings out.

Jack (in the Maine rainin', muddin', and floodin')

wayneis

Lee Valley has some different size metal or tin round boxs with clear tops. I bought several sets and I use them for all of my bushings. I have one drawer and all that I put in it is the little round boxs of bushings. My kits I store on a wall system that I've been buying at HD, it is a bunch a yellow plastic bins that attach to a wall and I have one wall that is nothing but a bunch of these bins. Blanks, wow now thats my problem. I started out with a big drawer system that I made long ago that fits under one of my work benches. Each drawer is about two foot square and I have about six of them. Problem is they are all full and I have more blanks sitting on top of every flat surface in my shop. Yup, I have an addiction, wood, acrylic, celluloid I don't care, if I can turn a pen out of it and it is either rare, fancy or just plain cool then I just have to have it. This is what I actually started out buying the bins for but they aren't large enough if I have more than a couple of each blank. So my next step is going to be making another drawer syatem like my first, I have enough room under the bench for another and I like having all of my blanks laid out so that I can see them easily. That also leeds me to another problem, it takes me longer to match up blanks and kits than it does to make the pen sometimes but what a fun problem to have.

Wayne

ilikewood

I have the most complicated kit storage here. I poke a hole in the top of the plastic bag it comes in and hang them on a peg board. A different hook for each kit.

Bushings go in plastic parts organizers....don't want to mix them up.

Fisherman

I have only been turning for two years but i have found that the plastic tackle boxes work great for storing kit parts. You can place the deviders where ever you want. One tray will hold a lot of kits. Just a suggestion.

butcherofwood

I think that everyone will agre that our spouses would be alot happeir if we quite this expensive habit. LOL, I use organizers from Northern, Walmart and the ciagr store as well as any containers that my wife approves me to have, ( this must be signed in triplicate by the president, lost in peat moss for three months and subjected to serious debate in the State Legislature. ) ROFL

dancrafted

This is what I made for kit storage. Cost me about $20.00 in MDF.

200543222624_penchest.jpg
<br />

And this plastic parts box runs $5.00 at HF.

200543222722_bushingbox.jpg
<br />

MDWine

YEAH!!! Finally... PICTURES! I love the "apoth" drawers... nice even in MDF!
I'm glad I hit this thread early in my career... I have only one set of tools to organize right now, but it looks like I'll be turning more pens, so I'll need more organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom