Kit sets that have both a pen and a pencil? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Kit sets that have both a pen and a pencil?

My girls want to give their grandfather a pen and pencil for his birthday next month. I've been looking for a set (that has both a pen and a pencil) but options are quite limited. Aside from the slim type pens, which I'm less interested in, it seems like the only kits with both are: Vertex, Stratus, Power, Spartan, and Deluxe Sketch. Executive makes a pencil, but only in gold. I'm a little more partial (and think my father-in-law will be more partial) to a style more like the Gatsby - a little thicker, clean lines, and with plenty of blank showing. Stratus seems the closest I can find, but I'm not too crazy about the metal near the tip.

Any suggestions? To date, I've ordered my kits from PSI, but I've also been looking at other places like Berea, etc. They all seem to carry the same as the other guy though.

As another question - I'm assuming that most people just want pens so that's where the market is. Do people these days not want a pen and pencil set?

Hope this is the right forum to post this question in. Thanks in advance.
mcpesq817 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 5

There is a Parker refill replacement that converts a pen to a pencil. That would open up many possibilities I would think. Iíve no experience with it however. Maybe others have.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 75

If you want to stick with PSI, then I think, from what you have said, that your best bet is the Vertex Click design for the pen and then this conversion kit for a separate pencil: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKFP4030PC.html

However, I think you should consider other sources as well ... you may find them more to your liking ... totally different family of kits.

You should consider the Schmidt Pencil Mechanism.

This will convert several twist pen kits to a pencil.

Appropriate kits are Perfect Fit, Cigar, El Grande, and perhaps some others.

Best source is Beartoothwoods.com

I recommend this as the best source of information as well. . Give Ernie a phone call. . He is the most helpful guy.
I have no hesitation in recommending this as your best option, both for the information you need, and for the kits you require.

Last edited by magpens; 03-15-2019 at 01:05 AM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2019, 01:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Beaufort Ink Mistral is one to consider. Beaufort Mistral high end pen kits.
Turners Warehouse carry them too.

Disclaimer. Both companies sell Marla’s blanks. That doesn’t take away from the kits though. ;)
Curly is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

You say your looking for a Gatsby style, Penn State has a pencil conversion kit for Gatsby. Itís on page 82 if the latest catalog.

KenB259 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 3

The Sierra / Elegant Sierra can be modified for a pencil. Google "Sierra Pencil Conversion" and download the PDF file from Arizona Silhouette.

https://www.facebook.com/thestatepen/
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'll double down on recommending the mistral from Beaufort. I made a set of them and they are high quality and showcase the blanks. You can order them from turners warehouse or if you are ordering a decent amount of them going directly through Beaufort is a touch cheaper even with shipping.
Gersh is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you so much! I wasn't aware of some of these suppliers, so really appreciate the tips! Looking them over this morning, I think the Sierra, Cigar, and Mistral kits are strong contenders.

This might be a dumb question, but when you see multiple suppliers carry the same pen kit (let's say Sierra), is that pen kit identical (i.e., made by the same company)? Or is just that style of pen the same, but you might have different quality components? Reason I'm asking is that I don't see myself selling pens, but just turning them as a hobby and gifting them to people. So, I don't mind spending a little more money on higher quality kits.

Another dumb question - I saw on Bear Tooth that they carry bright and black nickel tubes. I assume if I'm using a wood blank that switching up from the standard brass is not necessary? I've only turned acrylic thus far, and had a bit of problem on some translucent blanks where a white enamel or possibly a nickel might be preferable, but was wondering why someone would try out the nickel. Is it only for acrylic blanks, and where you want to change the color effect of the blank?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB259 View Post
You say your looking for a Gatsby style, Penn State has a pencil conversion kit for Gatsby. Itís on page 82 if the latest catalog.

Thanks for the tip - I didn't have a copy of the catalog handy so used the chat app and the rep said they don't carry a pencil conversion kit for the Gatsby.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpesq817 View Post
...trimmed...
Another dumb question - I saw on Bear Tooth that they carry bright and black nickel tubes. I assume if I'm using a wood blank that switching up from the standard brass is not necessary? I've only turned acrylic thus far, and had a bit of problem on some translucent blanks where a white enamel or possibly a nickel might be preferable, but was wondering why someone would try out the nickel. Is it only for acrylic blanks, and where you want to change the color effect of the blank?
Actually a pretty smart question. Typically, folks think about "back painting" or using colored tubes for acrylic/alumilite/etc since they can have some transparency--but rarely for wood. If i'm turning burls or wormy woods, i paint my tubes as well--as at times small voids may present themselves near the end of a turn. Usually use tan or dark brown--depending on the wood color--and at times will still end up adding a filler. i'm not a fan of bright brass spots showing through a darker burl.
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads