Kit/Search Suggestion feature (feedback needed)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

webmonk

Hey folks,

Thanks to a handful of folks (and especially Jim) pushing through and entering 387 (to date) available kits into the MKL database we've been able to move beyond the sneak-peek posted in the sticky article into the realm of actually having some data to mine. What I need now is some feedback so I can refine it and really make it a useful tool for you.

To take a look go to http://www.penventory.com and look toward the bottom of the page for the "Suggestive System" link. Please post feedback here or send it to me directly at jon@centralridge.com.

If you're curious about what the Suggestive System does but not enough to actually go look, here's the overview. ;) You can "ask" the system which kits exist that meet certain criteria. For instance, if you're in the mood to make a fountain pen, but are only interested in platinum/rhodium you'll have a list of available kits to buy (currently 16 of them) in a few seconds. Only looking for slimlines? Not a problem. Select slimline from the Type list and you'll currently get back 37 of them along with their part numbers. Plus, if you're logged in, the system can tell you which kits you have the drillbits/etc. to make so it'll help you diversify without spending cash on extras.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out and don't be shy about giving me feedback! ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

I like the suggestion feature, but I don't get the results I am looking for when I search for kits that match my drill bits.
I am guessing that you don't have most of the Berea kits loaded yet. I think that is why I keep getting only slimline when I look for kits that match my drill bits.

I think that another feature that would go great with this would be if the system could also look for kits that use bushings that we already have (we would have to load that info somewhere too)

Keep up the good work.

webmonk

Hi Kirk,

You're right about not having Berea done yet. I'll give that one priority.

The bushing system is going to be my next big push as soon as I get a chunk of hours together. Maybe this weekend, depending on weather.

Thanks for trying it out and thanks much for the feedback!

webmonk

Ah! Interesting suggestion! It'll currently tell you if you have the bits to make whichever kit(s) your search finds, but as it is you can't pick a specific bit and search on what you can make with that. Although, you can tell it to give you all the kits you can make based on your entire collection of bits, which is kind of the same thing... just not as specific.

Lots of spin-off ideas there to think about tonight. Thanks!

Lathemaster

Jon

I have begun loading some of my data in under my login. Added a few descriptions and Suppliers.

So far I like what I see. Thanks for your hard work. As a fellow woodworker and computer nerd ( over 40 years in the business ) I can appreciate your efforts and the results.

Cheers
Mike (HotJoe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom