Kit reccomendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

At a show yesterday (qualified success)I received a commission for a brightly colored pen for a nurse who wants to "one up" her associates.No problem I have the wood for a glue up,
It has to be a click style so I am going to modify a PST powerpoint.
Dilemma-
I also need a medium size "Click style" pen and pencil set for a deer antler set for her husband.
The power point is too thick and she would like an eraser on the pencil.
I haven't done many "click sets"
Since there is good chance for future buisness I'm looking for reccomendations for a matching reliable "click set" medium size kit.
What ones are you using with success?
Pen needs to be parker syle refill.
Pencil 5 or 7 mm is ok.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Wow, good luck. I have'nt anyone raving about any of the click style kits, every one I've bought is mostly plastic cheap looking parts. Are you sure you can't talk her into twist style? The new Jr. Gent pen and pencil kits are fantastic. The mechinisms are all top notch, I am very impressed with them.

Wayne

Randy_

Speaking of PSI, I see that most of their kits have 24k gold plating with an epoxy coating. I know they give a lifetime guarantee to all of their plated parts; but 24k gold is a lot softer than 10k or the coating available with other manufacturers. Has anyone had durability with the PSI plating of does it hold up OK??

YoYoSpin

I like the PSI E-Z Grip click pen and pencil set very much. Made about 20 sets so far, always throw away the little black rubber thingie. They seem to be very good quality and popular too:
AcrylicSet_1a.jpg

AcrylicSet_3a.jpg

Tom McMillan

Those are beauts Ed---very pretty!!!! Your color combos are great!!!! Looks like a nice kit---I haven't done pencils for a very long time because of problems with the mechanisms---is that one working out well???

YoYoSpin

The only "trick" with these kits is that the blank's length must be milled to exactly the same length as the brass tubes, otherwise, the pen refill's tip will extend too far or not far enough. The pencil kit is a snap to make, and also high quality. The only problem I've had is that the pen kit is a little more complex that most, and requires a good read of the assembly instructions.
Acrylic29b.jpg

melogic

Eagle, I would agree with Ed. I have not had any luck with the click style pens or pencils until I turned the E-Z Grip. They are awesome, but as Ed said, really pay attention to the assembly instructions. I have turned them with and without the rubber grip that comes with them. The ones I turned are being used every day and they have had plenty of re-fills put in them. I consider this to be a success. Good luck!

Randy_

Is the problem with the pen mechanism or the pencil mechanism or both?? From the catalog description, it appears there are other PSI kits that use the same "click" mechanisms as are in the E-Z grip kits. Do these other kits not work well or have they not been use tested yet???

Gregory Huey

Eagle
I will agree with every one else. The click styles are fair at best.
I have used the ones that Wood Craft carry's. They seem to be a little better than the power point from PSI. I also like the nib better. As you can see you can get a very nice pen & pencil from the E Z grip. Oh yea better give Ed a BEAUTIFUL job. Greg

G

Those pens are outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The reason for the click as was explained to me is the pens will be put in the side pocket of a nurses uniform,and when she demonstrated the motion a twist added an extra step.
Hey that's what the customer wants.
I have the chance at future buisness as all the nurses try to outdo each other with their pens.
The nice thing is though I met this woman at a show in another town,her place of buisness is in the town where I live and I have already told ny customer that the local jeweler carries my pens and is the only store in town that does.
It will give me a lot of credibility when the jeweler has customers asking for the outrageous pens that so and so has.
This particular jeweler was my first sale to a retail buisness.

Randy_

Originally posted by Gregory Huey
<br />.....I have used the ones that Wood Craft carry's......
I have been told that there are only three companies that make/import pen kits.....Berea, PSI and Craft Supply USA. The pens in the Woodcraft catalog look very much like the PSI kits. Anyone know more about the sources of these kits???

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Randy.
<br />
Originally posted by Gregory Huey
<br />.....I have used the ones that Wood Craft carry's......
I have been told that there are only three companies that make/import pen kits.....Berea, PSI and Craft Supply USA. The pens in the Woodcraft catalog look very much like the PSI kits. Anyone know more about the sources of these kits???

Most kits at Woodcraft are from Berea. Same is true for Hut and Rockler.
Rudy

jkirkb94

Thanks guys for the information on click pens. I may have to look into doing some of them. I work in the medical profession and we do like our click pens since we are constantly taking our pens out of our pockets to write. Unfortunately this also leads to losing our pens. I use cheap drug rep pens instead of my own. Ed are the EZ grips about the size/length of slimlines or European? Kirk [8D]

Brent

I have made alot of the slimline pro and few of the easy grip and have no problems with them. My daughter works at mental hospital and uses her click pen every day. She does so much writing that she uses a refill up in about three weeks. She has used the same pen I made her about a year ago. I have sold fourty of these localy and have not had any complaints yet. I cannot say the same thing about the twist mechanism. I have had a few of them quit working, but it might be that people are twisting them to hard.

Randy_

Originally posted by Brent
<br />I have made alot of the slimline pro and few of the easy grip and have no problems with them......

If I am reading the PSI catalog correctly, the "PRO" and the "E-Z GRIP" kits use the same mechanism.....that would explain the comparable performance!!

PSI also has a "CLASSIC" click pen......much prettier in my opinion than the Slimlines. Anyone tried this kit.....how does it hold up???(To date, I have avoided it cause it requires two drill bits and special bushings.....sort of expensive to just make one as a trial)

Still waiting for some one to comment on plating.....?? How does the PSI epoxy coated 24k plating hold up as compared to other companies 10k or TN or other platings?? Thanks.

wayneis

I have not tried that particular pen kit, but I think that you will find quite a few kits that do use two drill bits. Usually when the cap or top barrel is of a larger size than the bottom it will have two size tubes and two size bits. A few even use step drill bits and then you can really get into some big bucks.

Wayne

bassman00

I just made a bunch of PSI Slimline Pro Gelwriters and they turn out great. 8mm tubes the same size as the Slimlines. Most people love the writing feel of the Gel refill. I did have problem with the click mechanism on one of them. I don't know if it was me or the mechanism but it sticks periodically. Unfortunately, dissassembling these without damage to something is near impossible.

Fingerworks

As far as the durability of the plating goes I too was concerned. I have a contact at PSI who I trust and asked him for the straight scoop on the plating issue. He said that they've been using the epoxy coating for about 9 years now and have had very few, i.e. almost none returned. I told him that I would be willing to incur the extra cost and purchase only the TN kits to assure that my product is the best quality it can be. He said that based on 9 years of experience there was no need, i.e. the PSI 24K kits with the epoxy coating are extremely durable. Wish I could give first hand info but I'm new to pen turning. Hope this helps...

wayneis

Ric I believe that you would find a few individuals that have been turning for quite a while that would dispute what your friend told you. There's a simple test that you can do yourself. All you need is one 24K part and one titanium part and one buffing wheel. Turn on the buffer and hold each part up to it and see for yourself. The 24K won't last long.

Wayne

Brent

Randy I have had some pens with 24K plating in service for a year and had no problems. Some of the pens are used on a daily basis by nurses

Fingerworks

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Ric I believe that you would find a few individuals that have been turning for quite a while that would dispute what your friend told you. There's a simple test that you can do yourself. All you need is one 24K part and one titanium part and one buffing wheel. Turn on the buffer and hold each part up to it and see for yourself. The 24K won't last long.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I'll have to give that a try, thanks.

By the way, I had an occasion recently where I needed to use a buffing wheel on one of my pens. When gluing the center band on a Classic some of the CA glue leaked on to the barrel. I used a buffing wheel to get the glue off. Although I tried to keep the wheel from contacting the metal parts, it was unavoidable. There was no visible degradation of the plating when I was finished and it took several minutes of to get the glue completely off. From what I saw, the epoxy coating was very strong and stood up perfectly.

I'm betting that TN plating is superior to 24K with epoxy coating. But how much better and how much more durable, i.e. is it worth the added expense? I'll be sure and give your test a try when I get a hold of a TN kit.

Thanks,

G

How is the refill replaced on the EZ grip pen?
Are the 2 tubes pressed on the center band or do they screw together?
I looked at the instruction and could not determine the answers to my question.
In my never ending quest to get rid of the predetermined center band dia I modified a power point yesterday and may a pen in a 4" solid length.
I ground down the center band and glued a third piece that went over it.
I glued the three pieces together and turned the PP in a 4" length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom