Which kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

I think it is the photography. I say this because of the writing on the paper. As it gets closer to the viewer it gets wider.

aggromere

Not sure what kit it is but take a look at the aero, gatsby, sierra, elegant beauty. They look very similar to that pen. Also, take a look at the broadwell art deco. It is not for everyone, but a nice kit of similar shape.

jskeen

I agree that is probably a standard EB kit and the apparent length is some sort of photographic effect. I'm sure one of our resident photo wonks will chime in here soon as to exactly how it was done, with what equipment, and probably what the photographer was wearing at the time :)

ctubbs

If you look at the Elegant version of his pen, it looks much like the far left pen. It could have been shot with a wide angle stopped way down in very good light to attain the required depth of field giving the destorted view of the nib section. Go back and have another look and imagine the left pen forshortened and look at the Elegant version. I am just starting in this and have telling a slim from a Jr. Gent. The far left photo appears to have been PhotoShoped a bit.
Charles

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Maybe

If you look at the Elegant version of his pen, it looks much like the far left pen. It could have been shot with a wide angle stopped way down in very good light to attain the required depth of field giving the destorted view of the nib section. Go back and have another look and imagine the left pen forshortened and look at the Elegant version. I am just starting in this and have telling a slim from a Jr. Gent. The far left photo appears to have been PhotoShoped a bit.
Charles

But the grip section does not appear distorted...I know the right hot shot could dummy up a photo...the clip, finial and centerband do not look like the EB

toddlajoie

Yea, it's either done with a really wide lens, possibly even a tilt/shift lens or view camera to keep things in focus (you get that type of distortion when you get a really wide lens really close, and there's a super cool chunk of math geek wizardry that explains how you can keep it all in focus by tilting the lens in relation to the subject and film, or digital sensor).

It also may be possible that they just stretched out the image disproportionally which could give a similar effect.

Smitty, the distortion in wide angle lenses is in proportion to both the distance from the camera and the distance from the center of the image. So the closer parts of the pen will be distorted more, and the closer parts are also more often than not near one of the edged of the image.

I'm in the middle of shooting a whole bunch of pens, so I'll drop on my 14mm and 10mm lens and shoot a few examples of similar distortion and post them...

Last edited:

aggromere

There was a guy on the forums from england that was selling some kinda pen kit for making kitless pens. (i know that sounds weird), but I don't remember his name. That could be one of those. If the photo is realistic it looks like a two piece pen. The pictures of the pens he sells are your standard kits.

Mark

IMHO. I think it's an Elegant Beauty or some variant of it, with the CB & clip replaced.
Maybe a custom clip and CB in some other metal.

Attachments

• elegant.jpg
    elegant.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 74
Top Bottom