kirinite material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I turned two kirinite blanks last night and one of the blanks looks like it has pits in it. these show up as white dots after the final sanding. I am not sure if I got too impatient and pushed the final cut and chipped the blank or the blank has bubbles in it. It makes little difference now, except that i would like to salvage the turned blank. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site

It may be helpful if you posted a photo. What you probably have is sanding dust in the imperfections. Will need to clean out and add some filler of some sort. I do not know what that material is so a photo would help.

Skie_M

Make sure you clean the chips or pits or voids thoroughly ... you don't want little bits of white left over in the end.

Once clean, fill every void with CA. Wait a good 20 minutes for it to cure before you get it back on the lathe ...

Wet-sand starting from 220 or 400, whichever is your preference ... go all the way back up to 12,000 micro-mesh and then apply Plast-X or One-Step for the final shine.

Top with a wax like Turtle Wax if you like.

The CA is clear, so the color of the kirinite will show through easily, and the repair should be invisible.

Skie_M

Welcome to the site

It may be helpful if you posted a photo. What you probably have is sanding dust in the imperfections. Will need to clean out and add some filler of some sort. I do not know what that material is so a photo would help.

Kirinite is a "brand name" of acrylic available through PSI.

It turns quite nicely, but the "ice" style (crushed bits of opalescent color as defined by the name) is made by incorporating offcut crushed chunks of acrylic, so air voids are unfortunately common. The other style of kirinite without the crushed acrylic filler has MUCH fewer voids, but isn't quite as nice looking, as all it's reflective qualities are somewhat stratified top and bottom.

CA will bond to it nicely.

Skie_M

Just got my latest package in from Exotic Blanks .... and I found out that Kirinite is actually a knock-off of Italian Lucite.

I just finished turning round a piece of white Lucite - Pearl Drops ... and I'ld swear it not only looks just like Kirinite, it turns and feels like Kirinite ... which I've turned before. The only difference is in the color. The Kirinite I have turned before are the Turquoise and the Green Ice.

plantman

Welcome to the site

Kirinite, Is a trade mark label used for a resin blend of blanks used mostly in knife scales and other handles. Relatively new to pen turning. Jim S

Skie_M

attachment.php

From left to right ...

Kirinite Green Ice

Kirinite Turquoise

Lucite Pearl Drops

Forgive the slightly low image quality ... the sun just isn't out. :p Took pic outside just now, but it's overcast.

Attachments

• kirinite lucite.jpg
    kirinite lucite.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Make no mistake, this stuff shines and sparkles very well. Enough so that my wife has claimed another blue ice pen and i have not even pressed the kit in the blank. This looks like a real attention grabber from the get go. She knew she liked it just looking at the blank and after turning she was really happy to claim it. This is why i am trying to salvage one of the turned blanks.

Thanks for all the info ya'll have let me in on this subject.
Yes, that is the Texan part popping out!

TonyL

Hi Michael. I turned my first Kirinite Sky Bly Ice on Sunday (Virage - Exotics B.) . Here's a quick pic.

I sanded dry to 2000 (no MM), then buffing wheels. I examined it under a 20x loop and couldn't see any flaws (there is one that is not part of the finish or the fit ...can you all find it?)

I found it easier to turn than AA..unless it is AA, then I maybe it was the color, pressure, who knows.

I used my HSS roughing gouge except for the final cuts near the h/w. I may have just gotten lucky. As you can see I copied the design from someone here. The top should have been made more narrow (but that is not the flaw that I am talking about).

Anyway, keep at it...it may have been a poorly formed blank.

Attachments

• Virage Blue Kirinite.jpg
    Virage Blue Kirinite.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 285

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have not yet, personally turned this material. I look forward to doing so.

What I can tell you is this is probably poured in sheets. Often, near the end of the sheet, the material does not quite hit the frame and there are bubbles, sometimes many and large, in this area. One would expect that the person cutting the sheets would discard these. I believe they USUALLY do. But, I have also seen blanks delivered to us (Acrylic acetate, not this new stuff) that DO have bubbles.

When you finish a pen and are not sure if you have tool marks or air voids (bubbles), look at the shape. Tool marks are irregular and usually not very deep. Air voids have clean edges and are usually round. They are also usually similar in depth and diameter (like a round bubble).

Just a little info on all resins, may or may not apply to your present situation.

The advice to clean the dust out thoroughly is ALWAYS correct. Not always easy. Good luck and good turning!!

79spitfire

Hi Michael. I turned my first Kirinite Sky Bly Ice on Sunday (Virage - Exotics B.) . Here's a quick pic.

I sanded dry to 2000 (no MM), then buffing wheels. I examined it under a 20x loop and couldn't see any flaws (there is one that is not part of the finish or the fit ...can you all find it?)

I found it easier to turn than AA..unless it is AA, then I maybe it was the color, pressure, who knows.

I used my HSS roughing gouge except for the final cuts near the h/w. I may have just gotten lucky. As you can see I copied the design from someone here. The top should have been made more narrow (but that is not the flaw that I am talking about).

Anyway, keep at it...it may have been a poorly formed blank.

The only flaw I see is the coffee cup isn't full...

Top Bottom